Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

So apparently it didn't like the way I initialized the array of vertices.   :(

Which was not what I expected. 

There's still a mystery though.  The colors aren't acting the way anticipated. 

It seems like the buffer still isn't being loaded properly.  Because only the first 2 values of the colors of the first vertice are getting the color.  Which makes no sense to me.  I can turn it in Red or green, but I can't turn it blue, and the other 2 vertices are black. 

So far, this doesn't feel like much of a victory.  :(

But I think i'll have to finish it tomorrow.

Legend

So apparently it didn't like the way I initialized the array of vertices.   :(

Which was not what I expected.  

There's still a mystery though.  The colors aren't acting the way anticipated.  

It seems like the buffer still isn't being loaded properly.  Because only the first 2 values of the colors of the first vertice are getting the color.  Which makes no sense to me.  I can turn it in Red or green, but I can't turn it blue, and the other 2 vertices are black.  

So far, this doesn't feel like much of a victory.  :(

But I think i'll have to finish it tomorrow.
Any progress is still progress!!!

the-pi-guy

Any progress is still progress!!!

On the one hand, it'll hopefully be smooth sailing after this part.  At least some parts of it.  

On the other hand, it's frustrating that the bug was because of something so dumb.  

the-pi-guy

Sep 11, 2019, 01:28 AM Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 01:29 AM by the-pi-guy
How long do you expect till you get hello triangle running?
Only took me 3 weeks.   :(

So the issue was that I was using a pointer to set up my variable length arrays.  So then when I foolishly used sizeof during the call to copy the array to the buffer, it was taking the size of the pointer instead of the size of the array.  
So then there wasn't enough information for a color or vertex.

That was my stupid mistake.  

Legend

Only took me 3 weeks.   :(

So the issue was that I was using a pointer to set up my variable length arrays.  So then when I foolishly used sizeof during the call to copy the array to the buffer, it was taking the size of the pointer instead of the size of the array.  
So then there wasn't enough information for a color or vertex.

That was my stupid mistake.  
Eh that at least was a reasonable mistake. You can at least follow the logic of what you were thinking  :)

But now it works!!!

the-pi-guy

Eh that at least was a reasonable mistake. You can at least follow the logic of what you were thinking  :)
Yeah, I think I'm being a little too hard on myself.  Wasn't like I spent that much time on it.  Started back at work, and other stuff in the past 3 weeks.  

But now it works!!!
Yeah!  And a few other things should be pretty easy to add.

the-pi-guy

So I was thinking 3D, with a full controllable camera, but I think I could get away with more doing a scene like this:

Image result for super mario rpg

I think if the camera were closer, there'd be higher expectations for animations, and that's the one thing that I'm terrified to touch.

Doing this way, I think I could probably do a lot with a little basically.  

Legend

So I was thinking 3D, with a full controllable camera, but I think I could get away with more doing a scene like this:

Image result for super mario rpg

I think if the camera were closer, there'd be higher expectations for animations, and that's the one thing that I'm terrified to touch.

Doing this way, I think I could probably do a lot with a little basically.  
I think the hardest part will be setting up skinned meshes and animation systems on the programing side of things. If you're able to get that going, I think you'd be able to make serviceable animations in blender with relatively little effort.

Go Up