What minor thing grinds your gears atm?

Started by Legend, Feb 02, 2021, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down

the-pi-guy

It grinds my gears when basic things are weirdly complicated to do.

Like a lot of TVs have the ability to mess with the aspect ratio of video. Seems like a basic thing to do with a video source, and yet I'm still not sure how to do that.  

Looking up answers, I get some suggestions that don't work for some reason, and far more answers saying "why would you ever want to do something so horrid, youre going to distort the image". Despite the fact that I'm trying to fix a video feed that was erroneously squished.

That could be a second grind my gears topic. People telling you not to do something even though they are wrong.

Legend

Oh man that second one! Hopefully AI hasn't been learning to do the same thing.

My old Sony tv had an aspect ratio button. New samsung tv doesn't, but it must do something behind the scenes. The cable box hasn't changed yet now the picture fits perfectly. No clue if it has manual controls.

Legend

"Promised" is such a useless word nowadays. People just use it whenever something doesn't happen, regardless of if that thing was actually promised.

The saying "we were promised flying cars by now" is pretty old but I think its popularity has killed off even the slightest bit of nuance.

Finally made this post because the virtual boy wikipedia was updated from a harness being planned to being "promised" despite no change in source.

kitler53

so like,.. i was promised xbox exclusives?

::)

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

This isn't necessarily minor...  

But it seems like there are a lot of people that think if someone else is disobeying a traffic law, that you just are able to plow them down or something.

Just watched a video where a car pulled in front of a semi. The truck has several seconds to slow down.
They don't collide, but the truck doesn't make any effort to slow down.  

The first comment I see on the video is about how the semi should have slowed down instead of trying to collide with the vehicle. There are dozens of comments disagreeing with that, saying the other car would have been at fault for not getting up to speed fast enough.

You can't just plow someone down just because they pull out in front of you. If you have a chance to prevent an accident and you choose not to, you can still be held liable.

Legend

This isn't necessarily minor...  

But it seems like there are a lot of people that think if someone else is disobeying a traffic law, that you just are able to plow them down or something.

Just watched a video where a car pulled in front of a semi. The truck has several seconds to slow down.
They don't collide, but the truck doesn't make any effort to slow down.  

The first comment I see on the video is about how the semi should have slowed down instead of trying to collide with the vehicle. There are dozens of comments disagreeing with that, saying the other car would have been at fault for not getting up to speed fast enough.

You can't just plow someone down just because they pull out in front of you. If you have a chance to prevent an accident and you choose not to, you can still be held liable.

So many people just want excuses to be horrible.

the-pi-guy

I saw someone on a conservative subreddit post about these "45 communist goals written in 1963".

First off, it bugs me a lot that people read anything and either they write it off based of nothing or they agree with it based off nothing.

On the goals themselves:
Some of these goals, I think were obviously going to happen regardless of anything.

Some of them already happened and yet are basically wrong.
>8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev's promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.

East and West Germany were basically separated in 1949.

And so many of these things are generic conservative complaints. They would be convinced they are happening regardless of anything.
> Infiltrate and gain control of big business.

Legend

We are getting closer and closer to returning humans to the Moon. I have no idea why more and more people are in denial of this.

Like ~5 years ago everyone just accepted the news but now that we have real rockets flying and hardware getting built, people act like it's all vaporware.

Go Up