The VR thread. U R Not red(e) Oculus Quest announced $399: Vive $599!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Headset is 4K, but it's not known if it's per eye or total.  

Legend

What is the fov on that thing? Really novel looking design.

Dr. Pezus

This sort of thing is needed for the mass market to jump in. Many dont want to wear something huge on their head

the-pi-guy

Jan 09, 2020, 06:34 PM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2020, 06:37 PM by the-pi-guy

Hardly any information on it. 
No details of FOV have been released yet. 

Just a few details about the screens (4k, hdr). And a few things about the audio. 
This sort of thing is needed for the mass market to jump in. Many dont want to wear something huge on their head
Yep! 
Oculus Quest capability + this kind of form factor is what VR needs to look like before it goes mainstream. 

It might also need solid mixed reality that Facebook is working on. 

the-pi-guy

For example, a Panasonic representative said they could achieve a 100 degree field of view with this slim design using larger OLED microdisplays than the ones inside the headset I tried. This is to say the smaller OLED panels in the CES prototype produced a noticeably smaller field of view than most current consumer designs -- around 70 degrees measured diagonally, according to Panasonic.
Panasonic says it uses multi-element pancake lenses with panels produced in partnership with Kopin.

The weight loss is considerable compared with current VR headset designs. Panasonic reps said they are somewhere in the range of 150 grams, which is only about a third of one pound, but that could change based on the path they take to turn this prototype into an actual consumer product.

Panasonic representatives said they have "multiple" candidate designs for the addition of 6DoF tracking, though that would likely add some weight.
Hands-On: Panasonic VR Glasses Tease A Vision In Need Of A Platform

the-pi-guy

It'll be a pretty awesome day if/when VR headsets are basically that size, and are standalones with 6dof, 16k resolution, 240 hz, eye tracking, bci support, hand tracking, glasses replacement with mixed reality support.  

Welp, see you guys in 10 - 15 years!  

Well, it's crazy how close we are to a lot of that actually.

the-pi-guy

Have you played Lone Echo/Echo Arena?

A really well recieved game, but I've yet to play.

Legend

Have you played Lone Echo/Echo Arena?

A really well recieved game, but I've yet to play.
I also haven't played it yet. Excited they are making a sequel though.

Go Up