The VR thread. U R Not red(e) Oculus Quest announced $399: Vive $599!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

-GearVR is done.  Carmack gave a eulogy.  
-Google also dropped support.

Ouch that sucks but makes sense with dedicated mobile VR coming along.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Rumored PSVR game:
<br><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Was recently made aware of a very exciting new PlayStation VR game coming out of London Studio. Not sure whether it&#39;ll be for PS4, PS5 or both, but it&#39;s really exciting, and an announcement could be on the Horizon...</p>&mdash; SpookyCallum (@MultiCallum) <a href="https://twitter.com/MultiCallum/status/1186782287897210885?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 22, 2019</a></blockquote><script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><br>

the-pi-guy

Was looking for things and came across this.

As silly as it is, it's stuff like this that I think VR will really change things.  

I think someday very soon, VR could be capable of replacing things like a piano, your cell phone, and your television.  

It won't be practical for an even longer time, but there's so much potential here, that it feels like it'll happen eventually.  

the-pi-guy

Starting this week, I'm moving to a "Consulting CTO" position with Oculus.

I will still have a voice in the development work, but it will only be consuming a modest slice of my time.

As for what I am going to be doing with the rest of my time: When I think back over everything I have done across games, aerospace, and VR, I have always felt that I had at least a vague "line of sight" to the solutions, even if they were unconventional or unproven. I have sometimes wondered how I would fare with a problem where the solution really isn't in sight. I decided that I should give it a try before I get too old.

I'm going to work on artificial general intelligence (AGI).

I think it is possible, enormously valuable, and that I have a non-negligible chance of making a difference there, so by a Pascal's Mugging sort of logic, I should be working on it

John Carmack Transitions To 'Consulting' Facebook/Oculus Technical Role

Go Up