My Unreal Engine 4 game level - Want feedback and would love suggestions

Started by nnodley, May 03, 2014, 12:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

Yeah I think it should be left up to the OP.  If mods want to make mention, but I think the OP should have final say.  I mean, me and nnodley are off topic for now, but will be on topic once nnodley starts updating.

I agree. I mean, if it becomes obvious that a decent thread could be made about the off topic discussion going on then I would just step in and say, "Hey guys, let us know if you're going to discuss this further and we'll just turn it into a new thread for you". Instead of going, "Hey! Shut up and get back on topic. Go make a new thread and repeat everything you just said if you're gonna keep it up! You've been warned!".

7H3

I'm about to install the latest UDK to play around with it... any tips for scripting events?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Dr. Pezus

nnodley

I'm about to install the latest UDK to play around with it... any tips for scripting events?

Sorry no! Barely worked with UDK and have only worked with UE4 for about a week.  This summer project is pretty much learning the pipeline for environment art and stuff like that so I can start thinking and working on my big capstone project for the end of my University media arts program.

nnodley

Any updates?

Nothing really.  Last few days I've been stressing over getting my grades for my classes.  I have them now so I can now fully enjoy my summer and really start this project. 

I can say however that I am in fact going for modern architecture that is realistic, but yet has a slightly different style so I can hopefully get in some really creative stuff.  So it will hopefully turn into this small beautiful looking city/town built within a forest/rainforest with walkways supported by trees that interconnect everything together.   I guess the best way to put it is think of mayan structures you see in forests but it will be modern and much much more dense in architecture.

7H3

how different is the UDK from the engine itself?

nnodley

how different is the UDK from the engine itself?

Much better everything really.  UDK I believe is just essentially a free cut down version of Unreal Engine 3.  So now you just pay $20 a month and get access to Unreal 4, new updates, all the documentation, etc.  Stop paying and you keep it but you just lose access to updates and other stuff. 

Everything is pretty streamlined and easy to use in UE4 and pretty customizable.  I know they change kizmat(correct spelling?) to blueprint which is much better.  I would highly recommend just trying to get UE4 since it is super powerful.  Just from the very little I have used of both, UE4 has been much easier for me to learn and navigate.

7H3

I'll have to look into it... Personally, level designing seemed to work great in UDK, but I didn't really like the kismet thing

nnodley

Well just keep an eye on this thread as I will be posting screens of my progress on my level.  Then I can also share even more in depth how UE4 is.  I'm going through digital tutors full Intro to Unreal 4 to help kickstart being able to use it well.

darkknightkryta

Well just keep an eye on this thread as I will be posting screens of my progress on my level.  Then I can also share even more in depth how UE4 is.  I'm going through digital tutors full Intro to Unreal 4 to help kickstart being able to use it well.

Keep me updated about Unreal 4.  I wanna make a game development club when I eventually become a teacher.

darkknightkryta

Yeah the amount of people that want to learn computer science and game development is growing fast.  I would assume you could get 2 or more classes of students for it. 

Not in Canada, not anymore.  Computer Science classes are dying.  Well not in Ontario anyways.

the-pi-guy

Not in Canada, not anymore.  Computer Science classes are dying.  Well not in Ontario anyways.

Poor DKK. 

darkknightkryta

Poor DKK. 

I realized my sentence didn't make any sense, but yeah Computer Science is dying.  Even at my university where I got my bachelors in comp sci, they got rid of half the professors and classes.

nnodley

Wow that's surprising.  My University's program for Game development and Computer Science is growing fast!!  And I'll keep you updated on Unreal 4, I realize I haven't done much so far, but I recently just got a guitar so I've been trying it out and learning some chords.

7H3

man I loaded up the UDK earlier and was so lost... thought it would be like riding a bike... and then I remembered why I prefer Unity... :-p anyways hopefully it'll start coming back to me the more I mess around with it.

Go Up