Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

the-pi-guy


Hailey

VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Legend on Dec 31, 2020, 07:26 PM.
Unrelated.

Do any of your games have environment destruction/deformation?  

Hailey

Quote from: the-Pi-guy on Dec 31, 2020, 07:42 PMUnrelated.

Do any of your games have environment destruction/deformation?  
Technically Twisty Puzzle Simulator has environment destruction  ::) One of the castle walls has a crack and can be destroyed with the cannon.

Forged Odyssey is 100% destroyable/deformable. It's a "voxel" game just without the traditional voxels.
VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Legend on Dec 31, 2020, 07:50 PMForged Odyssey is 100% destroyable/deformable. It's a "voxel" game just without the traditional voxels.
Is there something similar in another game?

Hailey

Quote from: the-Pi-guy on Dec 31, 2020, 08:02 PMIs there something similar in another game?
I don't even know what I'm doing yet, but I don't think any other game does something similar. Every single thing is built from molecules, but things clump based off structure. Once a thing has clumped, the individual parts can be discarded.

This is best shown with piles of objects. Say a player starts dumping gold coins on the ground. The first few coins can be physical objects but once there are enough to consider it a "collection" of coins, the game internally creates a new node that holds all of them. Individual coins are tracked visually but the game logic just says "the pile has X properties and has Y inside."
VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

the-pi-guy

I see.  

I am itching to work on stuff.  

Voxels or something similar seem like the easiest way to do some stuff that I want to do.


the-pi-guy

I'll be getting back into game development as soon as I can get a new desktop.  
I do have more usage over my laptop, but i'll be getting a desktop soon ish hopefully, which will be better.  

There has been one technical challenge that has been on my mind for my language game.  
How do I associate a word with another word?  That's not straightforward. Does read associate with 読む or does it associate with 読みました?  

I think the easy solution is to encode it somehow like (read, 読む)  but that's still an enormous pain.  How do I automate that better?

Long story short, I'm working on a text editor that would be able to give specialized suggestions.

the-pi-guy

It's kind of fun when you read on stack overflow on how something can't be done and then you figure out a way to do it.

Hailey

I genuinely hate Unity some times.

With Forged Odyssey I used a shader to render meshes as flat uv images. It's a great trick to convert objects back into textures. Well with Hapax I'm using Unity's new HDRP and while I love a lot about it, I'm at its mercy.

I tried replicating this but nope. HDRP doesn't support shader replacement and the function works as a regular render without any errors.

So I switch over and manually set it up. This is only for development so it can be slow and messy.


But then I run into another issue. Unity can't render negative values into textures. It's supposed to. Everything online says it does, but it seems HDRP is breaking that too.

So I just set the system to translate the floating point value to keep all of them positive. But this doesn't work because I then discover there is still something active messing with my colors after they are rendered.

I say screw it. I don't care to tear apart the unity hdrp right now. I'll just convert the float to 1s and 0s and send the data over 32 frames per color! By this point I have gone fully mad of course.

...

I ended up just using a command buffer. HDRP does whatever HDRP does and then I just render a second time after it finishes. Negative floats work fine.
VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

Hailey

I connected to NASA servers through ftp today, that was fun.

I've been doing way too much research into stars. Gaia is great!
VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

the-pi-guy

#626
Crazy idea that I don't know if I will do it. 

My work is primarily focused on web apps (vue) and a sql database.

Kind of tempted to make something at home like a few localhost webpages.   

Hailey

Quote from: the-Pi-guy on Aug 28, 2021, 03:51 AMCrazy idea that I don't know if I will do it.  

My work is primarily focused on web apps (vue) and a sql database.

Kind of tempted to make something at home like a few localhost webpages.  

Don't know what you want to do with it, but do it!
VizionEck Cube Royale is releasing this year
 
"I'm Miranda Armbrust" -Me

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Legend on Aug 28, 2021, 04:15 AMDon't know what you want to do with it, but do it!
Short term: turn that games form into a better intranet web page.

Long term I don't even know for sure.  

the-pi-guy

I successfully have a local SQL server and a local webpage that gets data from it.  

So that's cool.