Battle of the Backlog

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Done with Stephen's Sausage Roll. It's not very good.

The puzzles are very well designed so I understand why it got a lot of praise but it just isn't fun to play. Maybe there is some twist coming up so I'll just watch a playthrough to double check but it's just not a great concept imo.

The puzzles are super restrictive with essentially only one way to solve them. That's fine but the method of solving them essentially boils down to blindly exploring a building. You start with 3 doors in front of you, pick one randomly/intuitly, and then progress to the next room to pick the next door. Eventually you will hit a dead end and backtrack.

The only puzzle in the game is noticing/discovering all of the available doors. Half the time the realisation that there is a door/action you missed is good feeling like an aha moment, while the other half of the time it's just an annoying thing that you didn't see coming.

I gave up on the game after 3 hours since the puzzles started getting more and more complex yet weren't expanding on this fundamental structure.

In my opinion it is not a good game unless you have plenty of free time and nothing else to do.