AI General Thread

Started by Legend, Dec 05, 2022, 04:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

https://technomancers.ai/japan-goes-all-in-copyright-doesnt-apply-to-ai-training/

https://technomancers.ai/ai-regulation-is-dead-nvidia-killed-it/

Things might be happening for flawed reasons but this is pretty reassuring for the future of current AI.

We're incredibly lucky that AI is expensive to make but cheap to use. Open source models will keep everyone on a relatively even playing ground.

I've mostly seen a lot of concern on Era about AI pushing people out of jobs.
I lot of those people don't think AI is good though. For example the WGA wants to ban AI for script writing even though it sucks for script writing. Their fear is that the AI can write a bad script and then fewer humans are needed to fix it up.

it's not just AI,.. a lot of supposed tech enhancements suck.   autocorrect typically does more harm than good.  speech to text is awful any time it's not something like a call center where a very specific question is asked and all it needs to do if distinquish "yes" from "no".   i literally think that the way google/facebook/ect only show you "results you'll be interested in" is a primary factor in the polarization of america and the eventual downfall of demacracy.  clearly these tools have been put to far greater use by authoritarians like russia/china then it has in free countries.

i can see a few ways in which AI could make lives better.  i just also see the far more ways that AI will be used inappropriately to the detriment of humanity.   i promise you it's not going to be long before someone utilizes this tech in cars/drones as murder bots.   it only takes 1 bumb in the world and I assure you there are far more than 1.  has horrible as nukes are at least they aren't easily accessible.
Luckily right now AI is equivalent to a human. It's hard to predict the future where AI is better than us.

kitler53

yeah, but humans are Soo good at being terrible. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

r/chess - Somebody mentioned how Magnus was looking more and more like the Big Lebowski in a comment the other day so I asked midjourney to get to work. Excuse the chess boards.

Just wanted to share this....

Legend

r/chess - Somebody mentioned how Magnus was looking more and more like the Big Lebowski in a comment the other day so I asked midjourney to get to work. Excuse the chess boards.

Just wanted to share this....

I'm impressed how good that chessboard is. The current image generators are great generalist models but they only have a few gigabytes of knowledge. Wholly unique things like chessboards and rubik's cubes tend to be really really bad.

The magic of generalist models though is that it's easy to expand them. Give the AI a few pictures of chessboards and it can learn their exact details in seconds and then always build them correctly in the future.

Legend

Interesting look at people wanting to essentially boycott a game/developer because it used AI tools: Firmament on Steam, Firmament on Reddit

It's funny how the public reaction is pretty much a CGI round 2. Back when CGI first started in films people considered it "cheating" and animators worried about their jobs: Why Disney Animators Refused to Work on the 1982 Film Then of course people only noticed CGI when it was bad CGI so they thought all CGI looked bad.

Will be very interesting once the first good game/movie with AI assisted content releases.

the-pi-guy

Interesting look at people wanting to essentially boycott a game/developer because it used AI tools: Firmament on Steam, Firmament on Reddit

It's funny how the public reaction is pretty much a CGI round 2. Back when CGI first started in films people considered it "cheating" and animators worried about their jobs: Why Disney Animators Refused to Work on the 1982 Film Then of course people only noticed CGI when it was bad CGI so they thought all CGI looked bad.

Will be very interesting once the first good game/movie with AI assisted content releases.
When talking about games: oh it's CGI, it won't actually look that good.

When talking about movies: oh it's CGI, that's why it looks so bad.

Kind of….

Legend

When talking about games: oh it's CGI, it won't actually look that good.

When talking about movies: oh it's CGI, that's why it looks so bad.

Kind of….
Haha yeah that's a funny perspective.

Legend

A thing I've thought about way too much is that images produced by AIs can always be smoothly interpolated between one another.

This creates a problem. Say for example you have the prompts "A person playing a real game"  and "A person playing a real game, chess" and you smoothly interpolate between them. No matter how perfect the AI is, you have to produce garbage at some point. There is no valid way to start with one random game and transition to chess without a bunch of made up nonsense in between.

So how will this eventually be solved? Will image generators get more and more "chaotic" so a microscopic change in prompt could produce a radically different result? Will image prompts be preprocessed in some way so future image AIs don't produce continuous results?

Also interesting to think about how this affects the quality of the image. Sometimes the best results are when an image generator is forced out of its comfort zone and tries to answer a difficult question, but in general the "safest" results are when an image is pretty stable and small prompt changes have a very small impact. I'd love to calculate a stability score of an image and see how it aligns with human ranked results.

kitler53

CGI to this day still generally speaking looks bad and is 100% the reason many movies in the 90-now era are not as rewatchable as movies from before CGI.

Legend

CGI to this day still generally speaking looks bad and is 100% the reason many movies in the 90-now era are not as rewatchable as movies from before CGI.
Jurassic park is still pretty watchable.

The problem is bad CGI, not CGI itself.

kitler53

Jurassic park is still pretty watchable.

The problem is bad CGI, not CGI itself.
the times it has been good as been vastly exceeded by the times it was bad.   i honestly bring this up as a thing when people give me shade for watching cartoons and i say well so do you dogsombrero.  i caught a glimse of the transformers trailer while at universal on saturday and it's just a cartoon and a bad one at that.

Legend

the times it has been good as been vastly exceeded by the times it was bad.   i honestly bring this up as a thing when people give me shade for watching cartoons and i say well so do you dogsombrero.
Good cgi is far too rare. Maybe just two movies a year that look good, like Avatar and Top Gun Maverick in 2022.

kitler53

Legend

Tesla self driving is apparently switching to a single latent space. All the cameras and data get compressed by neural nets into a relatively small array of values (latent space). Then individual neural networks extract information from this array.

Latent spaces in general are super powerful for ai. Stable diffusion latent space is only 64*64 pixels yet it produces 512*512 pixel images.

Legend

Randomly sharing an idea I've had for a while.

Sell simple security cameras with 100% locally processed AI. No image can be extracted from the camera and instead it can just output a handful of variables.

Put it in a bathroom stall. People would be creeped out until they become used to it, but just imagine it being able to directly alert staff that a stall needs immediate cleaning, a person is having a medical emergency, or a person is shoplifting.

Go Up