Battle of the Backlog

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Aug 01, 2020, 04:34 PM Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 04:44 PM by Xevross
I'm curious.  
Performance is absolutely terrible, which isn't a good start. The game is so weird but it thinks its the best thing ever so it takes itself so seriously, I couldn't help but laugh at some moments. The story is just bad and uninteresting and told in such a weird convoluted way. The ending is also just so awful and anti-climactic, I literally burst out laughing.

Encounter design is bad, all the rooms are small and it often gets very messy. It can get difficult because you're in a small space with loads of enemies around you, you can't keep track of all of them and they all do attacks which kill you in 2 or 3 hits. The fps drops dramatically in combat constantly which often causes death. Then you get hit with a 1minute+ loading screen to respawn and it takes ages to get back to where you were from the respawn point. The levels are fairly small and linear yet fast travel also takes about a minute sometimes.

The actual gameplay is okay but there's nothing particularly special about it. You just have a few different weapon forms but can only switch between two at a time, which is odd. Then there's dodging and launching items at enemies which are just kind of basic third person style systems. There's a somewhat interesting upgrade system but its overall pretty basic. You can get weapon and player mods that allow for slightly different builds but they're small upgrades and you can't have many so its not that important.

I guess its an overall fairly competently constructed third person video game. The graphics are pretty good. World design is interesting and there's lots of side missions and stuff to do if you happen to actually enjoy playing.

I think overall I'd give it a 5/10, one of the worst games I've played on PS4.

I never really had performance issues that affected my enjoyment. It was really only during fights that felt kinda crazy in my experience.
Aw, so I see you reached the ending huh? I guess I never posted my thoughts on it.

Great amazing game up till the ending starts. Really baffling.
Well I disagree on the great amazing part. I though it was pretty meh and wasn't enjoying myself so I rushed to the ending, and the ending was just awful and cemented my negative feelings.

I can understand why people might like it, especially if they play it on a platform where Remedy actually bothered to make it run decently. But I wouldn't even say any single part of the game is great or amazing never mind the game overall.