The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

FCzgljWVcAAkhYL

Next-gen high-end VR/AR
Face tracking, avatars can reflect facial expressions in real-time
High-res color passthrough for AR (fudgy finally)
Pancake Optics
Emphasis on support and comfort for extended use
Scheduled for 2022
Not the next Quest, not replacing it either
https://www.resetera.com/threads/project-cambria-oculus-announced-for-2022.506823/#post-76055586

I seem to have missed where this was.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Era insider
For those wondering, PSVR 1.0 titles will work on 2.0
Usually they don't leak stuff like this.   :o

Would be a good explanation for why they're piling on the VR games for PS+.

Legend

Era insider
Usually they don't leak stuff like this.   :o

Would be a good explanation for why they're piling on the VR games for PS+.
Would be very strange if old games didn't work.

the-pi-guy

I've been hopeful, but I've been very curious about how it will work:

Not sure if any PSVR games require seeing the player?
how will games that use the move work? The new controller has 2 fewer buttons (but the stick could be utilized, potentially...), although it wouldn't be impossible for the move controllers to be tracked.
Or how would DS4 games work? Can the dualsense be tracked?

Nothing about it is impossible, but all the solutions seem awkward to me. Either locking people out who don't have the old controllers, or you have slightly awkward controller mapping.

kitler53

1. we've seen the new psvr controller.  it's a pretty big change.  if BC required the developer to modify their game directly instead of a system level solution i wouldn't be terribly surprised.

1. this is coming from a company that blocks ps4 controllers on ps5 because,..   they can?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

1. we've seen the new psvr controller.  it's a pretty big change.  if BC required the developer to modify their game directly instead of a system level solution i wouldn't be terribly surprised.

1. this is coming from a company that blocks ps4 controllers on ps5 because,..   they can?

But PS4 controllers work on PS5 for PS4 games! All PSVR games are ps4 games  ;)

Legend

I watched the whole metaverse presentation. What a whole bunch of bologna lol.

Almost everything they showed was incredibly misleading for a demo of what will be possible in the future. The zero g floating really irked me lol. Same with the surfing. Trying to make it feel all cool and unbelievable when you'll really just be standing stationary for decades to come. Reminded me a lot of project natal stuff but way worse.

What are they thinking with virtual offices? You'll be sitting at your computer and a virtual rendition of an employee will walk past you? What is that employee seeing on their end? Also who is going to want to wear glasses or a full headset all day while working? 3D tvs couldn't even survive with them and those glasses were as optimal as things can get.

The demonstrations really just felt like they were describing the internet. You can study stars, ancient cities, etc. on your phone and computer already. Felt very bs to act like this is something they'll be creating/instrumental for when it already exists.

Also it was weird how they focused on the difficulty of fitting a computer into designer glasses. Yeah that's super hard but such a non issue until the display and battery side are better solved. Felt like just a weird plug for their irrelevant glasses with a camera product.

Creating face scans of people while wearing headsets is still cool though. That's the only tech demo imo that really supports this long term vision they demoed.

the-pi-guy

Also who is going to want to wear glasses or a full headset all day while working? 3D tvs couldn't even survive with them and those glasses were as optimal as things can get.
How?

A lot of people have to wear glasses. Unless I missed cheap prescription 3D glasses, that meant a lot of people had to wear two pairs of glasses at a time.  That seems pretty far from optimal.

AR/VR also offers a lot more than 3D did.

Legend

How?

A lot of people have to wear glasses. Unless I missed cheap prescription 3D glasses, that meant a lot of people had to wear two pairs of glasses at a time.  That seems pretty far from optimal.

AR/VR also offers a lot more than 3D did.
Most complaints about 3D tv glasses came from people who don't wear prescription glasses.

Do AR/VR offer more in an office setting though? Certainly not they way it was presented by facebook.

the-pi-guy

Do AR/VR offer more in an office setting though? Certainly not they way it was presented by facebook.
I think the value is very dependent on what kind of person you are. 

Like this could offer better socialization for people. Not everyone cares about seeing their coworkers, but our company has mandates because it's really important for some people. 

The 3D hologram stuff really depends on what kind of person you are, and what your job is. 

Doesn't benefit everyone, but I wouldn't say there are no benefits on display. 

Most complaints about 3D tv glasses came from people who don't wear prescription glasses.
That's fair. But a substantial portion of the population does have to wear glasses at least part of the time. 
Glasses might be a sticking point for 50% of the population but I don't think the other half will care as much. 

I think 3D suffered because half the population didn't want to wear glasses for what it offered, and the other half didn't want to wear two glasses for what it offered.  VR could at least replace the second pair of glasses.
Maybe VR will stall at 50%. :P

What are they thinking with virtual offices? You'll be sitting at your computer and a virtual rendition of an employee will walk past you? What is that employee seeing on their end?
It's a bit funny to think about how that would have to work. It's definitely goofy

Maybe one person is on site and they assign random walls as someone's office. 

Or do you just pick someone's office to creep on? Lol. 

the-pi-guy

Legend

That's great. VR needs non intrusive ways to keep people connected with everything else going on. Wonder if they could pick up room voices and patch them in if they match a filter.

the-pi-guy

lol

Take-Two is the parent company of both GTA developer Rockstar Games and 2K. Strauss, who was until now a long-time VR skeptic, was quizzed on his thoughts about the tech once more in a company earnings call earlier this week. "We've always said that we want to be where the consumer is," the CEO replied. "And when VR first emerged as a potential technology, while I expressed some skepticism about it becoming a very broad-based consumer application, I also thought it was really exciting technically and said that we would participate."

That's not quite in line with his response to a similar question from last year, though. In another call, Strauss noted that he "wasn't very compelled" by VR and was glad that the company "didn't waste any money on it." It was a strange comment given that 2K had already released NBA 2K VR and Borderlands 2 VR, whereas Rockstar Games had released a VR version of LA Noire. Not to mention that San Andreas VR was almost certainly in development at the time.

Take-Two CEO 'Glad' Company Didn't 'Waste Any Money' On VR

That Facebook money must have been nice.  

the-pi-guy

My brother in law has tried the Oculus Rift and the PlayStation VR.

But the 5 minute try out with Quest 2 was enough to convince him it was time to jump in, apparently.

I guess I've sold 3 quests. You're welcome meta.

Go Up