PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

darkknightkryta

Sony doesn't need to buy any developer.  They've mostly consolidated their studios already.  Expanding would just be literal insanity.  Though they do need a JRPG studio, but that's never going to happen.

Xevross

I think they need to diversify. So many of their games are third person story driven now, which is great but they're starting to make less and less of anything else.

I think in particular they're lacking in the racing department, Polyphony release games so infrequently now and their quality is still a lot lower than the annual Forza releases. Its a real shame they closed Evolution. A new RPG studio would be good too.

DerNebel

Oct 09, 2018, 09:25 PM Last Edit: Oct 09, 2018, 09:38 PM by DerNebel
Oh, good I was thinking of making a rant on this topic anyway.

I think it is kind of annoying that some people immediately jump to panic mode when MS announces something and act as if Sonys doomed if they don't "retaliate" to announcements like that.

That being said I find the people on Resetera acting almost like it's a personal insult to suggest that Sony could potentially expand and do more with their first party outside of natural growth, even more annoying. Sony could do more and it wouldn't hurt for them to look into acquisitions.

Insomniac (yes, I know they've reiterated regularly that they want to stay independent but still) and KojiPro are prime candidates, one is a studio that has had an incredible working relationship with Sony for more than 20 years now, proving that they are able to create successful IPs again and again, that has just recently made the most successful Sony first party game in their history and the other is headed by one of the biggest legends of the industry, while also being one of few studios that they currently have, that could have major japanese pull.

fudge Quantic Dream, don't buy them. They are capped out, I see absolutely no reason to believe that with the type of games they are currently producing, they will be able to significantly expand their playerbase beyond where they currently are. That's a serious problem considering that they insist on making their games on the bleeding edge of technology, their games are not getting cheaper. We've just witnessed what was assumed by many to be the most successful player in the niche that QD are making their games in, go bankrupt. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in QD longevity. It may sound harsh, but I'd say keep making projects with them until they stop being profitable and then drop them as a partner unless they show that they are able to branch out from what they are currently doing (which I doubt they are).

Other than that I'm sure there are a couple smaller western studios out there that could look into, maybe Bluepoint or Wild Sheep Studio (assuming Wild is actually turning out to be something).

The big problem area that I personally see for Sonys first party is Japan and I think I've said that before. The japanese market is important, like it or not, and while for the last few years Sony enjoyed a position of quasi exclusivity in the "high end space" over there due to Nintendo's home console being so terrible and MS being a non-factor, they do not enjoy that luxury anymore. If things continue as they are Nintendo is going to absolutely eat their lunch in Japan and it's going to be nobody but Sony's fault for taking that market for granted. Sony Japan has to expand and that can't just be this VR Studio, they need something AAA. And other than that I absolutely believe, that a studio acquistion or creation in Japan would make sense for them.

A developer that I would personally look at would maybe be Falcom (though I've just seen that even they have a market cap of $117m. How? o.O) for the simple reason that they are a dev that is critically well regarded but seems obviously limited a lot by the budget they are able to put into their projects. Other than for instance QD I would view this studio not only as one with serious growth potential but also as one, that could gain a certain level of strategic value that QD simply lacks and that I never seem them getting.

Rant over.

Xevross

I don't really want Sony to buy any existing studios, unless they're already making exclusives (like Insomniac).

I'm not happy with MS for buying up studios that were doing fine releasing multiplats, they're basically just paying long term for titles not to come to playstation, steam or nintendo. Its a bad practice and I'm annoyed MS are going in so hard with it.

I think Sony should maybe look into buy Insomniac, or smaller Japanese studios like Falcom. Apart from that, making new studios is much more important.

DerNebel

I don't really want Sony to buy any existing studios, unless they're already making exclusives (like Insomniac).

I'm not happy with MS for buying up studios that were doing fine releasing multiplats, they're basically just paying long term for titles not to come to playstation, steam or nintendo. Its a bad practice and I'm annoyed MS are going in so hard with it.

I think Sony should maybe look into buy Insomniac, or smaller Japanese studios like Falcom. Apart from that, making new studios is much more important.
The things that really piss me off, is when I see people scream for MS to buy  studios like Insomniac. It's situations like this where I would really like to tell people off for being such giant fanboys.

Insomniac has made 1 fudgy game for MS, a game that bombed, leaving MS uninterested in funding its sequel, but here you have people screaming for MS to buy that studio simply because they want see games taken away from a community that has actually proven to buy and appreciate their games and so they can add them to their fudgy list wars.

People screaming for MS to buy Insomniac legitimately disgusts me. It'd be like people screaming for Sony to buy Remedy or (before their MS acquisition) Playground games.

the-pi-guy

I'd like to see Sony expand in the following ways:
A couple of Japanese studios. To make JRPG's and I'd like them each to have a small team to either make a dedicated VR game or port over the JRPG's.  
(Because I like RPGs)

2 racing studios for the reasons xev gave. One to supplement PD and the other to make arcade racers like Modnation.  

Xevross

The things that really piss me off, is when I see people scream for MS to buy  studios like Insomniac. It's situations like this where I would really like to tell people off for being such giant fanboys.

Insomniac has made 1 fudgy game for MS, a game that bombed, leaving MS uninterested in funding its sequel, but here you have people screaming for MS to buy that studio simply because they want see games taken away from a community that has actually proven to buy and appreciate their games and so they can add them to their fudgy list wars.

People screaming for MS to buy Insomniac legitimately disgusts me. It'd be like people screaming for Sony to buy Remedy or (before their MS acquisition) Playground games.

Yeah I know, that's really dumb. People who are wanting that are mostly MS fanboys that want their list wars to be easier...

I'm only happy about studios being bought out if its an overall good move for the industry. A studio which is doing really well for itself like Insomniac don't need to be bought out, so buying them is just to get them to be exclusive, and not to help them out financially. I'm all for buying struggling devs to give them a boost, though.

Kerotan

Sony should expand Worldwide studios but it won't help if they just close their existing studios. Closing Cambridge still hurts.

Quantic Dream, Insomniac, Supermassive, and Kojima's Death Stranding Studio (if it's not already) are obvious options but buying them wouldn't really change anything. Sony needs studios that have talent but have been held back by other factors. Buy Bioware and try to right that ship or something crazy like that.
Would ea sell bioware?

Legend

darkknightkryta

Oct 10, 2018, 05:48 PM Last Edit: Oct 10, 2018, 05:51 PM by darkknightkryta
Sony doesn't really need anything other than better leadership in Japan.  

The thing that people don't get is that MS is going on a buying spree because they have nothing.  Literally all the devs they setup have been shut down.  Instead of Sony needing to be reactionary to Microsoft, I think Microsoft fans need to ask themselves "What's going to happen to all these studios they just bought?"  They've been buying up mediocre studios, and with their history of taking high end developers, crushing them to the point where they make trash really needs to show you all you need to know about Microsoft's leadership.  They're as bad as EA and I'm sure all those studios they just bought are going to be shut down in 5 years, if they ever get anything to market.

Kerotan

Oct 11, 2018, 04:27 AM Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018, 04:38 AM by Kerotan
Probably not  :P
Probably more likely to close them then sell them lol

Sony doesn't really need anything other than better leadership in Japan.  

The thing that people don't get is that MS is going on a buying spree because they have nothing.  Literally all the devs they setup have been shut down.  Instead of Sony needing to be reactionary to Microsoft, I think Microsoft fans need to ask themselves "What's going to happen to all these studios they just bought?"  They've been buying up mediocre studios, and with their history of taking high end developers, crushing them to the point where they make trash really needs to show you all you need to know about Microsoft's leadership.  They're as bad as EA and I'm sure all those studios they just bought are going to be shut down in 5 years, if they ever get anything to market.
They probably have them rushing for launch exclusives on the next xbox. And they usually turn out average at best. Games like killzone shadow fall and ryse come to mind. Not crud. Just average.

Sony are really in a much better place now though. Like last gen at this point they were busting their bollix putting everything into winning gamers back on the ps3. Which resulted in the ps4 suffering early on in terms of top exclusives.

Now however with this gen in the bag they can afford to have developers starting earlier on ps5 games such as god of war 2, spiderman 2 and especially horizon 2.

And unlike last gen anything that releases late on ps4 will likely get a ps5 port. Shenmue, ff7 remake, ghost of tsushima, TLOU2, death stranding etc. Plus there could be games like monster Hunter world 2 coming early on.

Bottom line is they can really hit the ground running. Wouldn't it be crazy if they got something like 30m ps5 produced year 1. If they have a strong enough line up and a powerful machine at €400 they could pull it off.

Xevross

There was an Era thread before about Blops 4 not being on the disc and just being a 50GB download, turns out it must just not have been displaying correctly because its a 43GB disc file then a further 50GB download. So the game is 95GB in total...

Legend

There was an Era thread before about Blops 4 not being on the disc and just being a 50GB download, turns out it must just not have been displaying correctly because its a 43GB disc file then a further 50GB download. So the game is 95GB in total...
Yeah a game wouldn't be able to put nothing on the disk.

But that's a huge game since it lacks a campaign.

DerNebel

Oct 13, 2018, 09:53 PM Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 11:17 PM by the-pi-guy
According to Benji there's one major Sony first party game for PS4 left unannounced.

PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Post E3 2018 | Page 186 | ResetEra

If they were now delaying launch by say a year then surely they would actually increase their presence at the likes of GC, PGW and wouldn't cancel PSX and continue to push PS4?
Thing is it's hard to show up big at conferences when every major remaining 1st party exlcuisve for the PS4 is already announce besides 1

Not VR and no Remake either.

PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Post E3 2018 | Page 187 | ResetEra

I for sure wouldn't consider something like VR games or remakes "major"

But that's my opinion 
Neato.

Legend

Go Up