Netflix removes Chappelle’s Show after Dave Chappelle asked it to

Started by kitler53, Nov 25, 2020, 04:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/24/21643473/netflix-dave-chappelle-show-removal-viacomcbs-comedy-central-deal

People think I made a lot of money from 'Chappelle's Show. When I left that show, I never got paid. They didn't have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal because I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn't think so either.

That's why I like working for Netflix. I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn't even exist. And when I found out they were streaming 'Chappelle's Show,' I was furious. How could they not know?

So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better. That's why I fudge with Netflix. Because they paid me my money, they do what they say they're going to do, and they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman. They did something just because they thought that I might think that they were wrong.

And I do -- I think if you are fudgy streaming that show you're fencing stolen goods. They stole that from me. They just took it. And I'm not here trying to tell you guys that I believe Comedy Central gave me a raw deal just because I'm black. I believe they gave me a raw deal because this fudgy industry is a monster.
on the one hand i'm disappointed because i wanted to rewatch it.  on the other hand i really like chappelle and glad netflix did "the right thing".

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

I love chappelle. By far by favourite comedian. Sucks he was treated so badly. I would have definitely watched his show if it were on netflix, because its hilarious.

kitler53

I love chappelle. By far by favourite comedian. Sucks he was treated so badly. I would have definitely watched his show if it were on netflix, because its hilarious.
i'm a massive stand-up comedy fan.  i have a hard time picking a "favorite" because their are soo many but netflix greenlighting soo many stand-up specials is a good part of why i love netflix.   on my list of favorites i love:
- chappelle
- hannah gadsby (nanette when viral but if you haven't watched it douglas was even better)
- mike birbiglia (i don't know how "popular" he is but he's one of my top favorites.  if you haven't watch you should starting with "my girlfriend's boyfriend")
- james acaster (i only know is 4-part netflix special but it is sooo good.  i've rewatched it soo many times)
- marc marron
- iliza shlesinger
- jim gaffigan
- demetri martin
- katherine ryan
- bo burnham

any hidden gems i need to know about?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

I don't really understand how it was stolen from him if he agreed to it with a contract?

darkknightkryta

Nov 26, 2020, 12:28 PM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2020, 09:26 PM by darkknightkryta
I don't really understand how it was stolen from him if he agreed to it with a contract?
That's why I don't have much sympathy.  Even the way he handled his departure.  He needed to leave for his mental health, that's fine.  But after you recouped, call your producers and let them know your ready to come back or let them know you're not.  The whole "If they release the few episodes we filmed, I'd be pissed" was stupid. Pissed at what?  You chose not to come back and your bosses chose to release the last bit of footage for fans to see.  You're the one who walked off the show without telling anyone.

the-pi-guy

It's not literally "stolen".  
He basically got a bad deal.