October 2020 NPD - 736k Switch, 68k XB1, 39k PS4

Started by Xevross, Nov 12, 2020, 11:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Nintendo Switch Achieves Its Best October Sales to Date | Business Wire

Sales numbers from Nintendo themselves, 735,926 Switches sold in the month to be precise. When was the last time this happened?

Update: More leaks on Era: https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2020-fifa-21-1-watch-dogs-legion-3-nhl-21-4th-mario-kart-live-5th-switch-1-hw.325349/page-5#post-51671255

Xevross

fudgy lord, Switch's sales this year are utterly ridiculous.

Xevross

Nov 13, 2020, 12:00 AM Last Edit: Nov 13, 2020, 12:04 AM by Xevross
Switch's YTD is 5.62M. PS4 only did better than that across a whole year once (5.74M 2015), XB1's best was only 4.94M (2015). We have the two biggest months of the year to come. The stock is the limit, who knows how high Switch will go now.

Just matching last year's Nov and Dec would put it at 9.08M for the year total. Could >10M happen? That would be just ... well who has the words for that.

Also as a bonus, the best October of the gen before this was PS4's 342k in 2018.

kitler53

just as a perspective, I feel like December is going to be abnormally low this year.  

as a parent I have never started my Xmas shopping before black friday before because that's when the deals start.  ..but this year I've already started and intend to be done with my shopping by the end of November.  I'm being driven by 2 reasons:

- in this covid economy there are frequent runs on the strangest of thing.  example: we had to by the economy 500 pack of plastic easter eggs for Halloween because there was a run on the smaller quanties. 

- purchases not arriving before Xmas has become frequent occurances in the last two weeks of December in a normal year.  in a covid year I am worried that shipping delay will get a lot bigger.  I don't want to be that bumb parent that doesn't have gifts on Xmas. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

just as a perspective, I feel like December is going to be abnormally low this year.  

as a parent I have never started my Xmas shopping before black friday before because that's when the deals start.  ..but this year I've already started and intend to be done with my shopping by the end of November.  I'm being driven by 2 reasons:

- in this covid economy there are frequent runs on the strangest of thing.  example: we had to by the economy 500 pack of plastic easter eggs for Halloween because there was a run on the smaller quanties.

- purchases not arriving before Xmas has become frequent occurances in the last two weeks of December in a normal year.  in a covid year I am worried that shipping delay will get a lot bigger.  I don't want to be that bumb parent that doesn't have gifts on Xmas.

Yes it could well be something like that happens. I have different minds about it. I can see Switch underperforming the next two months but I can also see it exploding and anything in between.

Guess we'll see, but I think this month being so high and bigger than last month points more towards exploding for me.

kitler53

Nov 13, 2020, 12:44 PM Last Edit: Nov 13, 2020, 12:46 PM by kitler53
Yes it could well be something like that happens. I have different minds about it. I can see Switch underperforming the next two months but I can also see it exploding and anything in between.

Guess we'll see, but I think this month being so high and bigger than last month points more towards exploding for me.
and I guess I'm offering a third.  I think November is going to be truly insane but December underperforms.

I guess it might come down to when stock is delivered but I expect nintendo could easily sell their entire holiday shipments in oct and Nov.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

We got full leaks on Era, are Sony completely winding down PS4 and going full steam on PS5 or is this month just a one-off?

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Just looked around. PS4 is still sold out like everywhere. And selling for $450+ anywhere it isn't.

So either PS4 shipping got messed up due to PS5/Covid/whatever else or Sony is really turning down production.

Xevross

Just looked around. PS4 is still sold out like everywhere. And selling for $450+ anywhere it isn't.

So either PS4 shipping got messed up due to PS5/Covid/whatever else or Sony is really turning down production.
Most likely a combination of the two. I'm very interested in what the PS4 and xb1 will sell in November.

BananaKing

Unless PS4 production is limited by covid/ps5 release. Tunning down production of it is a mistake IMO. They can still make a decent profit from PS4 sales, and they have new games coming out on PS4, from both first and third party.

They said they expect ps4 to ps5 transition to take 3 years. Then they shouldn't shoot ps5 in the leg. Doesn't make sense to release horizon on ps4 if ps4 production is gimped for a full year before.

DerNebel

Unless PS4 production is limited by covid/ps5 release. Tunning down production of it is a mistake IMO. They can still make a decent profit from PS4 sales, and they have new games coming out on PS4, from both first and third party.

They said they expect ps4 to ps5 transition to take 3 years. Then they shouldn't shoot ps5 in the leg. Doesn't make sense to release horizon on ps4 if ps4 production is gimped for a full year before.
People won't be buying PS4's to play Horizon 2 in 2021. The transition thing is more about people who already have a PS4 but aren't ready to jump to PS5 yet.

I think I've said this before but anybody who buys a PS4 now is a low priority customer for Sony, because they are unlikely to spend a lot of money in the ecosystem. With their continued hesistance to cut the PS4's price even below $300 outside of specific sales, they have shown that there is less of a focus on getting even the last potential customer to pick up a PS4 even if they might only buy a couple used games (or tries to pirate them or whatever).

Just like with the PS3 after the PS4 came out, I expect PS4 sales to grind to a screeching halt within the next 6 months outside of maybe emerging markets where income is lower. US and Europe we can get used to numbers like this.

Xevross

People won't be buying PS4's to play Horizon 2 in 2021. The transition thing is more about people who already have a PS4 but aren't ready to jump to PS5 yet.

I think I've said this before but anybody who buys a PS4 now is a low priority customer for Sony, because they are unlikely to spend a lot of money in the ecosystem. With their continued hesistance to cut the PS4's price even below $300 outside of specific sales, they have shown that there is less of a focus on getting even the last potential customer to pick up a PS4 even if they might only buy a couple used games (or tries to pirate them or whatever).

Just like with the PS3 after the PS4 came out, I expect PS4 sales to grind to a screeching halt within the next 6 months outside of maybe emerging markets where income is lower. US and Europe we can get used to numbers like this.
Yeah I agree on that last bit, this month seems strangely low for PS4 but its the trend I'm expecting. Sales next year in major markets will be way down and most PS4s will be sent to smaller markets that are more price sensitive and demand for PS5 won't be as high yet.

Legend

PS4 is dead. Switch is god.

I do think Sony will keep selling ps4s though. PS5 is still very expensive and very hard to find.

DerNebel

PS4 is dead. Switch is god.

I do think Sony will keep selling ps4s though. PS5 is still very expensive and very hard to find.
They'll keep selling them, but won't make a special effort to get people to buy them I'd say. Once PS5's become readily available in a couple months or whenever PS4's will probably be relegated to just a couple in store, those huge dog PS5 boxes have to go somewhere.  ;D