Retro Gaming

Started by darkknightkryta, Oct 12, 2020, 02:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

I've been doing a bit of Retro gaming.  I think this a good place to talk about old games you're  trying for the first time, or replaying.  I guess PS3 is also retro.

Currently playing: Medievil 2, Resident Evil 2
Casually playing: Sonic 2, Mario, Mario 3

the-pi-guy

"F old games" -some on this forum.
/s   ;D

Legend

Only retro game I've played was Super Metroid. Really loved it so I should play some more older games.

If PS3 gen counts, Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 are on my backlog.

edt: I mean F old games

kitler53

fudge old games.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Super Mario RPG, Lost Vikings are ones I want to play again. Not sure when I'll get around to it though.

kitler53

just kidding. 

i put togther a raspberry Pi just  so i could get all the old snes games i loved as a kid playable.  i wanted to play through the old classics with my son but he just isn't good enough at gaming yet to play them.  he's gotten a lot better over the last year but he's just not really for super mario world yet let along super metroid.   he's doing pretty okay with mario kart wii though,.. he can get around the track without hitting anything most laps and his best time is getting to be respectable.

i expect i'll be playing a lot of snes next year as my kid gets better at gaming and because we are dang close to running out of lego games to play.  Anyone know if the raspberry Pi 4 can play ps2/gamecube games.  I built mine on a raspberry Pi 3 and that was definitely not possible.

for myself.  no real urge to retro game expect to replay the old ratchet and clank games.  the new one really has me itching to play.  but generally speaking, i've got way too many "current" games in my backlog to play.

the-pi-guy

just kidding.  

i put togther a raspberry Pi just  so i could get all the old snes games i loved as a kid playable.  i wanted to play through the old classics with my son but he just isn't good enough at gaming yet to play them.  he's gotten a lot better over the last year but he's just not really for super mario world yet let along super metroid.   he's doing pretty okay with mario kart wii though,.. he can get around the track without hitting anything most laps and his best time is getting to be respectable.

i expect i'll be playing a lot of snes next year as my kid gets better at gaming and because we are dang close to running out of lego games to play.  Anyone know if the raspberry Pi 4 can play ps2/gamecube games.  I built mine on a raspberry Pi 3 and that was definitely not possible.

for myself.  no real urge to retro game expect to replay the old ratchet and clank games.  the new one really has me itching to play.  but generally speaking, i've got way too many "current" games in my backlog to play.
Raspberry Pi 4 would probably be sufficient to run PS1 games, but a long ways from PS2.  

Right now you would have to build a desktop PC for that.  I'm sure it could be done for $300-400. :P

kitler53

Raspberry Pi 4 would probably be sufficient to run PS1 games, but a long ways from PS2.  

Right now you would have to build a desktop PC for that.  I'm sure it could be done for $300-400. :P
not a chance.  i might have bought a new raspberry Pi if it supported it.  it's not really a priority to me.  for the same price as nintendo's offering i got the same thing (including the snes casing and controller) and almost literally every snes and nes game and a bunch of stuff from atari and sega just because why not.  that's more than enough retro gaming for me.

the-pi-guy

not a chance.
Too bad I'm forcing you to!  Or something, I don't know.

All I'm saying is, it'll be a while before there's hardware and an emulator for PS2 in the small and affordable Raspberry Pi package.

Dr. Pezus

fudge old games that aren't retro enough

kitler53

Too bad I'm forcing you to!  Or something, I don't know.

All I'm saying is, it'll be a while before there's hardware and an emulator for PS2 in the small and affordable Raspberry Pi package.

eh, it was just a question.  i'm not a hardware guy so i don't really know what needs to happen.   i tried to play a gamecube game on the 3 and i think i got it to run at like 1 fps.  figured the new hardware could do better.  maybe good enough.

Legend

I just played Riven from 1997. Wasn't super good.

Was a blast from the past not having any settings. The game had volume and brightness screens, but it expected you to adjust things on your end.

darkknightkryta

I just played Riven from 1997. Wasn't super good.

Was a blast from the past not having any settings. The game had volume and brightness screens, but it expected you to adjust things on your end.
I remember Riven.  It was a sequel to Myst ya?

I think I want to go ham with PSX JRPGs.  There's like a spooky tone, not even from Square, that I want to try.

Legend

I remember Riven.  It was a sequel to Myst ya?

I think I want to go ham with PSX JRPGs.  There's like a spooky tone, not even from Square, that I want to try.
Yup. Huge upgrade over myst, but still had some dumbness. Like I never found the main puzzle but I did literally everything else without a guide.

darkknightkryta

I just finished Threads of Fate.  The second and third dungeon almost put me off from the game.  It was overall enjoyable, but there's a lot of jank.  Like, old school level design with corridors that are identical and loop around.  Iffy platforming.  Combat was also super basic.  Enemies encounters were at least average, so the core was at least adequate.  Story was pretty light hearted with old school anime comedy that I enjoy.  I don't think I want to replay the game with the second character.  On the one hand, the game's level based so I can play it in hour bursts.  But on the other hand, the game can get frustrating.  On another note:  I think  Square's PSX output was their greatest and mot varied set of games ever. Bushido Blade, Einhander, Ergheiz, Chocobo Dungeon, Final Fantasy, Musashi, Saga, Mana, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross,  and probably things I'm missing.

I think I'm going to finish Breath of Fire 2.  That's another jank filled game.  I want to slap the reviewers who said it was better than Breath of Fire 3/4.  It isn't.  I think I'm 3/4 finished it.