Update on The Forged Kingdoms-shifting priorities

Started by Legend, May 19, 2020, 04:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Hello all!

I am greatly increasing the importance of NPCs within The Forged Kingdoms. They give players a purpose in the world, even when off screen. Take Breath of the Wild, one of my main inspirations, for example. The game is a great sandbox with cool physics and exploration but it would all feel meaningless without NPCs. No travelers, no stables, no cities, no zelda, and no hetsu.

Additionally, I view interacting with them as the core selling point of the game. They need to be smart and feel alive so that players can build strong relations with them, either as friends or enemies. Since I'm not writing a story in advance, players need to build their own goals off helping/hurting them. Say a knight murders your friend and then mocks you for confronting him. He could naturally turn into a villain in the story only if the player cares enough to seek revenge.

To counterbalance these shifting priorities and keep the game on schedule, I'm cutting multiplayer. It may come in a post release update but it isn't a requirement anymore.