Video Game Company R&D Has Flatlined for the Past 6 Years (NPD Market Dynamics Research Report)

Started by Aquamarine, Jun 06, 2016, 06:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Aquamarine

I think this macro data is endlessly fascinating, much more fascinating than any single sales point.

This is a very interesting tidbit I found looking through an NPD macro research report. Apparently they got data from pretty much every first-party and third-party publisher regarding their R&D expenses....the total chart represents the entire USA video game industry including Japanese and European publishers...any publisher which has published games in the USA.

This is a logarithmic chart, so the diagonal straight lines represent a constant level of growth. Industry R&D expenditures grew almost exactly at 22.9% annually for 10 years, from 1998 to 2008, regardless of the point in the console cycle. After 2008 - which remember marked the peak of the Wii and music bubbles - there was actually a slight PULLBACK in R&D, which then completely flatlined through the present (Zero CAGR).

There has been no meaningful growth in industry R&D spending in seven years, and that's an incredibly powerful statement because it explains SO much, like why nowadays it's much harder for games to wow us graphically, why companies release fewer, increasingly-homogenized titles, and how they feel only slightly-upgraded from last gen.

It also completely contradicts the consensus view of R&D spending where the industry accelerates around console transitions, and then slows down after, allowing for a short period of margin expansion in the later years of console cycles.

In a way it's healthy for the industry because I don't believe video game companies can survive another budget leap past their current expenses. But what does that mean about video game graphics going forward if they refuse to budge like they've done for the past 6 years? Are we going to eternally remain disappointed with graphics now that it's at a plateau? Will people stop investing in the AAA scene once graphics stay the same for decades which will lead to a collapse leaving only indie games to fill in the gaps? What about the PC scene? Will there be any point to the latest and greatest PC gaming hardware once graphics hits its inevitable peak?

Aura7541

Funnily enough, the games that I currently own and am planning to get aren't graphically intensive.

More on topic, this is a very interesting finding. I was one of those people who thought R&D would go up during console transitions before going back down. I don't think the AAA scene will collapse, but indies and "mid-tier" games will become more prevalent.

Aquamarine

These macro NPD reports have all sorts of fascinating industry trends that extend far beyond just retail data.

I don't think we give The NPD Group enough credit. They do a LOT more than just report retail sales which are getting increasingly useless as the industry slowly migrates to digital.

They talk about the digital game industry, they talk about the mobile game industry, they talk about the used game industry....it's pretty dang comprehensive.

Dr. Pezus

These macro NPD reports have all sorts of fascinating industry trends that extend far beyond just retail data.

I don't think we give The NPD Group enough credit. They do a LOT more than just report retail sales which are getting increasingly useless as the industry slowly migrates to digital.

They talk about the digital game industry, they talk about the mobile game industry, they talk about the used game industry....it's pretty dang comprehensive.
Yet they don't want to tell the world about it

darkknightkryta

This was actually something Cerny was talking about with the PS4.  There wouldn't be a need to invest a lot of money into R&D.  They can get a game engine up and running quickly, and enhance as they go.  I mean, as gorgeous as Uncharted 4 is, you can tell its roots.  VS the differnce between Jak and Uncharted 1.  This is probably going to be the future.  Marginal enhancements as they go.