VRidge: Oculus Rift Emulator for cardboard viewer

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 11, 2016, 06:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

https://riftcat.com/vridge

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/49tpy5/we_made_pc_vr_simulation_on_cardboard_with_head/

Could this theoretically be used to bypass Oculus Runtime to play Rift Exclusive games on the Vive?
If we'll add Vive support in the future, theoretically, yes.

Since Oculus Rift is kinda expensive, we made a software to play PC VR games on Cardboard type headsets as an entry level for high end VR.
It is a complete Oculus simulation with full head tracking like it is supposed to be. (Rotational tracking only)
You can see in the gif how it works. You can try it out at: https://riftcat.com/vridge .
Let us know what do you think about it.
VRidge was developed by 2 people. (me + /u/lonqqq)
/u/marecznyjo (OP) is also an developer that did most of RiftCat desktop client but mostly focuses on management. There is also our graphic designer and tester.
Total of 5 people working full time.
Proper GearVR would need to use Oculus SDK which explicitly prohibits using SDK to create apps for unapproved headsets. We would need special permission from Oculus.

Legend

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally just bought Gear VR today.

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

dang, should've waited for the s7 instead of buying the s6 late last year so I'd have the free gear vr! Oh and water resistance

the-pi-guy

dang, should've waited for the s7 instead of buying the s6 late last year so I'd have the free gear vr! Oh and water resistance
Nah, wait for water proof.  
That way you can play games in the shower...  

Dr. Pezus

Nah, wait for water proof.  
That way you can play games in the shower...  
Is water resistance not enough?

the-pi-guy

Is water resistance not enough?
If you are careful, it's probably fine.  
But if you are not, then not so much.  

Dr. Pezus

If you are careful, it's probably fine.  
But if you are not, then not so much.  
I don't really get the difference. I saw some dude on snap using it in the shower (indirect ad)

the-pi-guy

I don't really get the difference. I saw some dude on snap using it in the shower (indirect ad)
This probably says it as well as any way I could:

waterproofing - What's the difference between water-resistant and waterproof? - The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange
"Waterproof" means that no water will penetrate.
"Water resistant" means that there exists a limit of exposure at which water will penetrate.
Watches are normally water resistant to a particular depth below which the water pressure is too high and the seals are breached.
Breathable clothing quite of often states some comparable metric indicating, for instance, the weight of water which would be required for water to penetrate the fibres.
The problem with the terms is that there is no regulation and so we might buy a rain jacket and call it "a waterproof" even though it is not. Some manufacturers will also state that an item is waterproof to some limit, which is confusing.

Dr. Pezus

This probably says it as well as any way I could:

waterproofing - What's the difference between water-resistant and waterproof? - The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange
So it should be OK in the shower. Just don't go diving with it. I could probably see some tests on yt