Xbox One Kinect stand-alone to hit the market October 6 for $149

Started by Legend, Aug 27, 2014, 06:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

that would be true if the consumer hadn't already spoke and said kinect is not worth it. This won't change anything. ms should try and convince the people who don't want the kinect, which is the majority, to pick up the stand alone. And at this price they won't. Most people who wanted the xbox but not kinect will now just recoup their money by selling it for 100

You'd be surprised what people will buy when they think they're getting a deal. Microsoft knows Kinect is not winning over consumers. They're clearly not making a big push for it anymore. At this point Microsoft is just going to try and squeeze whatever money they think they can get from people. They're not terribly concerned with it at this point. Like I said, they're targetting ignorant consumers and there are plenty of them. If Microsoft really was worried about getting Kinect into homes now they'd sell it alone for $100 and bundled for $450 or so.

You're acting as if I'm saying this will change things. I'm not. I'm simply saying that if Microsoft is not worried about how many Kinects they sell now and are instead focusing on getting as much back from each Kinect as they can then this strategy is ideal since they almost certainly slowed down production on it. It is also ideal in that case because should Kinect suddenly become popular again then it's already sitting at a price Microsoft would like and in a bundle that new buyers will leap for. This also gives Microsoft the ability to give a price drop on something they're overcharging for. Again, and I can't stress this enough, they're aiming for the ignorant consumer not the informed gamer.

Max King of the Wild

You'd be surprised what people will buy when they think they're getting a deal. Microsoft knows Kinect is not winning over consumers. They're clearly not making a big push for it anymore. At this point Microsoft is just going to try and squeeze whatever money they think they can get from people.
which they tried doing by forcing kinect and it completely backfired by being rejected by the consumer. I didn't say you said it changes things but if you don't think Ms is concerned with consumers spending more money on their products then I don't know what to say. And no, this won't get people to buy the kinect bundle. The majority have already spoken and they said it's not worth the extra 100. Now, it will be rejected even more because it certainly isn't worth an extra 150. It's just bad pricing on Ms part.

Legend

First kinect was about thr same price. Sounds good to me.

Raven

which they tried doing by forcing kinect and it completely backfired by being rejected by the consumer. I didn't say you said it changes things but if you don't think Ms is concerned with consumers spending more money on their products then I don't know what to say. And no, this won't get people to buy the kinect bundle. The majority have already spoken and they said it's not worth the extra 100. Now, it will be rejected even more because it certainly isn't worth an extra 150. It's just bad pricing on Ms part.

Microsoft isn't that concerned about Kinect because it's not part of the focus anymore. We're not talking about a product that can stand on its own. We're talking about an accessory. I don't know how many more times I need to say that Microsoft is targetting the ignorant consumer with this pricing. The informed have shown they're not interested and the only way to get them to consider it without significant software support, which it seems it won't be getting, is to price it even lower than $100 which they surely don't want to do. So they'd rather take their chances in seeing who they can get to buy it and hope that it spurs bundled sales. 7H3 and I see it as a strategy whereas you just seem to see it as simply bad pricing. We see it as making sense that they would try this. For myself, I don't see it ultimately succeeding but I do think it will con more people into buying the $500 bundle than a $100 price would convince those who don't already have it to buy one for the $400 package they bought.

Raven

As far as Microsoft forcing Kinect that was during a time when there was no stand-alone Kinect to compare prices on and it was also during the time when early adopters and fans were buying the console. Those aren't exactly your average ignorant consumers.

7H3

I'm informed, and to me getting an xbox one with kinect is a better deal because I actually would want the kinect if / when I get an xbox one.

This will also help impulse buyers to choose the bundled version over the stand alone as it pertains to the perceived value.

Those that are more uninformed might still buy the stand alone console as they buy a new console whatever reason and don't know about the discount/bundle and be forced to shell out an extra $50 later if they realize that they want or need that item. Others will simply choose to buy them separately in lieu of spending less money at time of purchase or to buy more of other related products.

This will not increase sales overall, but will help protect potential sales of the bundled kinect sku as if the cost difference between the 2 sku's were the same then there would be a loss of more sales of the bundled (OLD)sku.

We are mostly talking about first time buyers of the system here as well; not past trends. Past trends do not dictate how consumers will act, but help predict how they will act.

This will indeed help encourage those new buyers to buy the bundled sku, but only for those who are interested in the kinect product in the first place. Those who don't care about kinect, still won't care and this will not affect their purchasing decisions. Moms and Dads who are going to be buying this product around the holidays as gifts will be more encouraged to buy the bundle due to the perceived value alone as they may not know / care if the recipient wants the thing or needs it for the console and may not want to shell out the extra cash for it later.

Again even those buying it for themselves that are interested in the kinect product (like myself) will be more likely to buy the bundle due to perceived value. How much more likely is hard to say. Also I don't mean more likely to buy over the other sku, but rather more likely to buy that sku than they would have been with out that perceived value.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Go Up