Japan lands rover on asteroid Ryugu

Started by Legend, Sep 22, 2018, 05:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

BananaKing

So question, I'd having space stations on huge astroids, like in the expanse, something realistic or feasible?

Legend

So question, I'd having space stations on huge astroids, like in the expanse, something realistic or feasible?
Yes but I think it'd only make sense if you were using material from the asteroid for construction. Otherwise a space station off on its own would be simpler.

Could have a very small amount of gravity to help with things too.

Kerotan

Yes but I think it'd only make sense if you were using material from the asteroid for construction. Otherwise a space station off on its own would be simpler.

Could have a very small amount of gravity to help with things too.
Could a space station with thrusters built to it slow down an asteroid to the point where we could control where it goes?

Legend

Could a space station with thrusters built to it slow down an asteroid to the point where we could control where it goes?
Not unless you have sci fi engines.

Asteroids can be huge. NASA had an asteroid redirect mission that started with the goal of wanting to put an asteroid into orbit around the Moon so humans could visit it. Over time this was scaled back to just picking up a boulder from an asteroid and putting it into lunar orbit since the original goal was impossible. Then the mission was cancelled since at that point it wasn't worth it.

If an asteroid is going to hit Earth and we know about it in advance, we can go to the asteroid and slow it down/speed it up with thrusters. We can't change where the asteroid is going, but we can make it arrive a day later so that Earth is farther along its orbit and is missed.

Xevross

They gonna perform any tests with it or is it just for pictures?

Every time I read this thread title I read jaguar land rover and then think oh no that's wrong...  :(

Legend

They gonna perform any tests with it or is it just for pictures?

Every time I read this thread title I read jaguar land rover and then think oh no that's wrong...  :(
They have some really nice cameras that should be able to get clear pictures of the asteroid's structure. They also have a thermometer.

A third rover thing has a magnetometer, an infrared spectrometer, and a radiometer.

It will also collect samples from the asteroid and bring them back to Earth.

Xevross

They have some really nice cameras that should be able to get clear pictures of the asteroid's structure. They also have a thermometer.

A third rover thing has a magnetometer, an infrared spectrometer, and a radiometer.

It will also collect samples from the asteroid and bring them back to Earth.
That's cool. Lots to be learned!

Kerotan

What part of the solar system is it in??

Legend

What part of the solar system is it in??