E3 2018 general thread

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jun 09, 2018, 03:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

it really isn't that hard of a problem.  

the player only need to feel more powerful.  that can be achieved by rewarding the player with gameplay mechanics not power levels.  attack power/defence/health bars are archaic game design form an era where computers were limited in how difficulty could be managed.

modern data science has solution to solve this.  i work with lstm in my work and i can see how easily it could be applied to game ai that learns player behaviours and adjusts difficulty through intelligence not power.  the cool part with this approach is you could monitor how long it has been since the player had a deadly encounter and ramp difficulty up when they have been winning and down when they are dyiung.

game devs don't seem to interested in innovating ai though. its all about graphics.

Left 4 dead did something like that with AI. Also I'm pretty sure there was another game I've read about that worked that way.

It's cool but it's too "fake" for me. Same with just making the player feel powerful. I'm specifically talking about it from a game theory perspective where the player has full knowledge of the situation and is thinking rationally.

Bars are the best! You seem to like games as an "experience" for lack of a better word. It's about casually enjoying your time. I mostly ignore stats and optimizing in games, but I still tend to prefer games structured with clear cause and effect. As the player I can decide to play it casually but I know the game isn't cheating me. Like how Naughty Dog is moving towards having more systems and dynamics visible to their players. I wouldn't want Uncharted to have a health bar but I love having one in TLOU. TLOU2 is taking this further with a stealth gauge. The HUD doesn't just show if you're hidden; it shows how well you're hidden.

*I'm tired and rambling. Sorry in advance if this is gibberish