Amazon's first three PC games unveiled: New World, Breakaway, and Crucible - NeoGAF

Started by Legend, Sep 30, 2016, 07:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Amazon's first three PC games unveiled: New World, Breakaway, and Crucible - NeoGAF

So the first two were pretty short glimpses and the last one got most of the attention. The general trend here was trying to make games built around the streamer generation that aren't exactly like the games out there today.  I'm not sure if any of them will be good, but they are at least relatively inventive.https://games.amazon.com/games New World: - Essentially it's an open world sandbox MMO where you colonize 17th century North America, but the twist here is that all the supernatural stuff people from the era believed is actually true. - You can build towns, forts, and camps as permanent world spaces. - You can also choose whether to be a farmer, crafter, adventurer, or do all of these types of things depending on how you like the play the game.  If you remember the old era of sandbox MMOs, you've probably got the right idea. - You can also work with or against other players, and it generally simulates the whole world going through the year from seasons to 24 hour day cycles to weather to crop growing to etc. - I'm guessing this game is probably the farthest off of the three given the state of the art assets, but it seemed like the one that'd interest GAF posters the most so I put it first. - Video: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=10m05s
Originally Posted by Amazon Official Description

New World is a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game that allows you to carve your own destiny with other players in a living, hostile, cursed land. How you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against is up to you. Live on your own amidst the supernatural terrors or join with others to build thriving civilizations. In this evolving world that transforms with the changing of the seasons, weather, and time of day, the only limit is your own ambition.///////

Crucible: - This is a third person shooter where 12 players enter an alien planet, and the last one surviving wins.  However, the twist is that the world is very hostile and the players have to work together in order to survive, so there's a large social trust aspect of when to ally with other players and when to ultimately betray them to try and win. - There's also a 13th player who can serve as game master while streaming the game and create events and other various challenges for the players to deal with.  The streamer's audience can also interact with the game world as well through unspecified means. - Video: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=09m34s
Originally Posted by Amazon

Crucible is a battle to the last survivor on a hostile alien world. Players choose and customize heroes, making alliances and betraying allies on their path to victory. An additional player heightens the drama by triggering events, live-streaming the battles, and interacting with viewers.//////

Breakaway: - This is the game that was actually unveiled in a full manner. - Breakaway is 4v4 sports game where you try to get a ball into the other team's goal.  First to three wins, and after ever goal, a new round is started. - The players are each character classes ranging from DPS to tanks to supports, with each being a hero character as is popular these days.  Each character has a wide variety of abilities. - When holding the ball, if you take damage, you drop the ball, though you have a variety of movement moves that can help you get around better. - Players also have health bars, and when they die, they're out for a while, making it easier to score.  This is where the nature of the classes also plays in a bit. - There's also a large base building element where you can build up various defenses to help defend your goal while you make a push, or to push through the enemy's defenses.  These cost money that you seemingly collect from picking up shards on the map or killing other players. - If no one scores by the end of 2 minutes, the team that has more control of the map (as determined by their net worth which is a mix of their buildables and some other things I think?) gets the point. - Buildables persist between rounds, and at the end of each round, you can also use your cash to buy upgrades to your abilities. - There's a wide variety of streaming and spectating tools build into the game. - Website with alpha sign-ups and general game information: https://playbreakaway.com/ - There's a full match video here: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=38m25s
/////

New World sounds good.

nnodley

I like the sound of all of them, but my lord why do they all have to be MP oriented.  At least one of them could have been single player story based.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

I like the sound of all of them, but my lord why do they all have to be MP oriented.  At least one of them could have been single player story based.
Amazon owns twitch. Twitch focused games makes sense

nnodley

the-pi-guy

Cool.
Lumberyard games!  (I'm guessing, can't imagine them not using it).