GI's Spider-Man PS4 Month! Today: Peter Parker

Started by Xevross, Apr 03, 2018, 04:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Lol, Horizons side quests are nothing compared to the Witcher's 3. There are some side quests in the Witcher 3 that are about as big as all Horizons side quest combined.

Hopefully the next Horizon has a lot of improved work when it comes to side quests. Because the base and idea where good, but they execution wasn't solid and at times felt cheap. Some side quests were fun and so, but they needed more work when it came to presentation and polish.
Agreed. They need to improve on that and make it feel less like a typical open world game.

Legend

Lol, Horizons side quests are nothing compared to the Witcher's 3. There are some side quests in the Witcher 3 that are about as big as all Horizons side quest combined.

Hopefully the next Horizon has a lot of improved work when it comes to side quests. Because the base and idea where good, but they execution wasn't solid and at times felt cheap. Some side quests were fun and so, but they needed more work when it came to presentation and polish.
Witcher 3 had a few great side quests but most were the standard kinda boring type.

Horizon had a lot of average side quests too but all the ones that involved making friends were pretty good imo. They worked because you wanted to learn more not just play more.

Dr. Pezus

Witcher 3 had a few great side quests but most were the standard kinda boring type.

Horizon had a lot of average side quests too but all the ones that involved making friends were pretty good imo. They worked because you wanted to learn more not just play more.
I didn't notice many standard side quests in the witcher. I never really knew what was a side quest and what was a main quest because there was no difference in quality. Some apparent side quests even turned out to affect the main plot a lot lulz.

Legend

I didn't notice many standard side quests in the witcher. I never really knew what was a side quest and what was a main quest because there was no difference in quality. Some apparent side quests even turned out to affect the main plot a lot lulz.
Maybe I just noticed them more since I was kinda analysing the game as I played it. Lots of fetch quests.

I liked that Horizon specifically told you what type of quest something was.

BananaKing

I'll have to completely disagree there. Here are just sample of side quests that were very well done, awesome and had an effect and the story or characters.

-Yen's side quests with the gene
-Triss side quests with helping mages in novigrad
- the tower in the middle of a skellige island that appeared out of nowhere
- helping crachs sons with the ice giant(a whole island was dedicated for this side quests for the most part)
- helping crachs daughter with the leach type monster
- both the crach children side quests were part of a bigger side quests which determines the fate of skellige
- the king radiovide assassination side quests and story line
- the side quests where you help the master sword Smith's
- the side quests where you help the master armoror
- the side quests were you help Kira and the haunted tower
- the side quest where you help the man who lost his wife and find out it was a werewolf (in velen)
- the side quest of the cursed warewolf in skellige
- the free dlc side quests of skelliges most wanted
- the other free dlc mission with the pigs
- dandelions side quests where his gf is attacked
- lambarts side quests in novigrad
- Roche side quest
- the side quests of the slaughtered village (free dlc as well)

And there are a lot more. Yes, there were more smaller side quests but they were more polished than horizons and flowed better. I'd agrue that the Witcher 3's side quests also gave a lot of info and did a lot of great world building. They gave a lot of insight on the world and what's going on, the war, the religions, the people, poverty, way of life, society and so on. And they did a much better job at it than horizon.

Legend

I'll have to completely disagree there. Here are just sample of side quests that were very well done, awesome and had an effect and the story or characters.

-Yen's side quests with the gene
-Triss side quests with helping mages in novigrad
- the tower in the middle of a skellige island that appeared out of nowhere
- helping crachs sons with the ice giant(a whole island was dedicated for this side quests for the most part)
- helping crachs daughter with the leach type monster
- both the crach children side quests were part of a bigger side quests which determines the fate of skellige
- the king radiovide assassination side quests and story line
- the side quests where you help the master sword Smith's
- the side quest where you help the man who lost his wife and find out it was a werewolf (in velen)
- the side quest of the cursed warewolf in skellige
- the free dlc side quests of skelliges most wanted
- the other free dlc mission with the pigs
- dandelions side quests where his gf is attacked
- lambarts side quests in novigrad
- Roche side quest
- the side quests of the slaughtered village (free dlc as well)

And there are a lot more. Yes, there were more smaller side quests but they were more polished than horizons and flowed better. I'd agrue that the Witcher 3's side quests also gave a lot of info and did a lot of great world building. They gave a lot of insight on the world and what's going on, the war, the religions, the people, poverty, way of life, society and so on. And they did a much better job at it than horizon.

I liked most of those quests but lots aren't really side quests or what I'd refer to as a side quest. They're the meat of the game and are optional due to the way the game is structured.

Maybe it's just because they're good that I viewed them as a separate activity but fundamentally they feel different.

"- the side quests where you help the master sword Smith's
- the side quest of the cursed warewolf in skellige"

These are some of the ones I recognize from memory as being real side quests.

BananaKing

I liked most of those quests but lots aren't really side quests or what I'd refer to as a side quest. They're the meat of the game and are optional due to the way the game is structured.

Maybe it's just because they're good that I viewed them as a separate activity but fundamentally they feel different.

"- the side quests where you help the master sword Smith's
- the side quest of the cursed warewolf in skellige"

These are some of the ones I recognize from memory as being real side quests.
I agree with you that I don't view them as side quests in a sense. But technically they are side quests since you don't need to do them to finish the game. And they are lumped in the side quests category in the quests menu. And that's where I think the Witcher 3 excells, their side quests are on par with the main story in terms of quality, depth and impotance. It's a step, actually meny steps above what we are used to in the gaming industry. And Horizon wasn't even close to that, and this is coming from someone who played every one of horizons side quests except the hunter ones.

Legend

I agree with you that I don't view them as side quests in a sense. But technically they are side quests since you don't need to do them to finish the game. And they are lumped in the side quests category in the quests menu. And that's where I think the Witcher 3 excells, their side quests are on par with the main story in terms of quality, depth and impotance. It's a step, actually meny steps above what we are used to in the gaming industry. And Horizon wasn't even close to that, and this is coming from someone who played every one of horizons side quests except the hunter ones.
Technically they're called side quests but that doesn't mean they fill the same purpose. Ignoring the realities of dev expenses, you don't want an open world game to only have big quests related to the main event. Smaller ones are good for pacing and for letting the player take a break. They're also good at letting the player better roleplay as their character.

The Witcher 3 essentially made a super freaking huge branching story and then just marked some of it as optional. If you're arguing that games should have more of that stuff then yes definitely (although I don't really have time to play long games).

But that's different than arguing improvements for true side quests imo. I played every quest in Horizon too and wouldn't want its side quests to be more like the Witcher's.

Xevross

I'd call anything that isn't vital for completing the game a side quest. Then again, BOTW did do this very differently but I guess that's just an objection.

How long would The Witcher 3 be if you didn't do anything at all that's optional?

Dr. Pezus

I'd call anything that isn't vital for completing the game a side quest. Then again, BOTW did do this very differently but I guess that's just an objection.

How long would The Witcher 3 be if you didn't do anything at all that's optional?
Probably still over 30 hours for most people

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10270

Xevross

Go Up