Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

Nope. Never heard of it even.

Are you needing to learn it?
Yeah, I just got out of a 5 day training session as part of my work traininig, now I knoe the basics at least.

It's the programing language used in SAP, not all that sexy honestly,  ;D

darkknightkryta

PHp creates webpages directly? Use echo.
You can embed php into html.  I like it better than Ruby.

Legend

You can embed php into html.  I like it better than Ruby.
EMbeding html in php is so much nicer. Gives you a lot more control.

the-pi-guy

Workflow
Title text: There are probably children out there holding down spacebar to stay warm in the winter! YOUR UPDATE MURDERS CHILDREN.

This will never not be funny.  

Legend

IN Unity I was doing some custom rendering stuff. I could have merely put a script on each camera that needed it, but that would have been annoying. Instead I just set it up to auto work on every camera.

TUrns out this really ment every camera. Even the little preview images for materials in the editor were getting the custom rendering. I break Unity a lot.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Oooh I just learned about "ref." That works so much better than "out" for lots of things.  ::)

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Game developers who have worked on terrible games, when and why did you realize the game was going to flop? : AskReddit
I hate that you fail upwards in life.  You honestly need to pass some kind of sanity test before you're allowed to move into any management position.

Legend

wowowowowowowowowowoowwowowowoow oh my gosh

YOU CAN CHANGE AN INDIVIDUAL VECTOR NUMBER!!!!!

vectorname.x=5 is valid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly mothballs that's incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure what happened is back when I was learning Unity in 2013 I saw that transform.position.x could not be set directly, so I just assumed that was a way vectors worked instead of how position works. Blows my mind. Instead I've been doing stuff like vectorname=new Vector3(5, vectorname.y, vectorname.z). Really doesn't affect the results of the code, but it's a great quality of life feature to know about.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

"It is a bit of a problem. I'm British and I still often type 'colour' rather than the American 'colour' in css, or forget to use the American spelling 'true' rather than 'indubitably'"

Legend

How does programing work in other languages?

Is it common practice to just do everything in English like it's designed, or is the local language sprinkled in when possible?

Go Up