Are you a different person online vs irl?

Started by Legend, Jan 11, 2015, 03:24 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I am. The big thing for me is my smartness. Irl everyone knows I'm super smart, or at least knows I have aspects of being super smart. Online however, this is a whole different version of me. Knowone knows about all my accolades, so I really approach situations from a different direction. Instead of stating the answer, I also explain the answer. This has helped me in real life too imo.

Hbu?

the-pi-guy

I think I'm less shy now online than I am in person. 

People generally consider me smart (often for no reason at all), shy, kind (I hope people think of me in the same way online).

I don't think I've developed any behaviors from online that benefited me in real life.

Dr. Pezus

BasilZero

Think Bruce Wayne and Batman from The Dark Knight Trilogy.

IRL = Bruce Wayne

Online = Batman

Legend

Think Bruce Wayne and Batman from The Dark Knight Trilogy.

IRL = Bruce Wayne

Online = Batman

But I'm batman too!

Raven

For the most part I act the same. I'm slightly less combative in person but that's mostly because I don't know exactly HOW someone is responding to me so my assumption is that they're talking down to me. Since that is a significant portion of my experience on the internet.

mustacheman

Yes. There's one big difference (though it's not as big here fortunately).

I think everyone does hide behind the screen to a certain extent. Some less than others; but you're never going to have two people the same.

Dr. Pezus

Yes. There's one big difference (though it's not as big here fortunately).

What, that you pretend to be a Nintendo fan? :P

7H3

for i think its more a professional vs non-professional environments.
In more informal situations with friends I can be more of a jerk with joking and banter. At work I'm required to be extremely sociable by nature of my job, but if I'm not working I don't feel the need to be sociable even though its easy for me to do so. I'm also perfectly content in my own head and all alone.
Online can be more like dealing with strangers for me so I try to treat that as a more professional environment depending on the site, the users, and how long I've been a member (feeling of closeness with other members) I don't change who I am or pretend to be another person when I'm online / offline or working / off duty. I do feel that different situations require different ways of interacting with people. The OP is a good example of how that can play out. I also feel like there are some people out there who can completely change who they are and how they act online because they think it is funny or safe to do so.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

darkknightkryta

I am who I am.  Whatever it is I am.

mustacheman

What, that you pretend to be a Nintendo fan? :P

I don't really pretend to be a Nintendo fan...everyone just assumes I am :/

Not that I'm not ofcourse, but I like all three consoles (Sony>Nintendo>MS). But I dunno, maybe I missed something way back when.

kitler53

i'm a much bigger bumb in real life.  i dunno,. it's just more fun to antagonize, diminish, and gloat in person than online because irl you can taste their tears.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I used to be a lot more confident online than I was irl but recently I've become a lot more confident irl, so there's not really a difference there now. I don't do anything differently online

Raven

i'm a much bigger bumb in real life.  i dunno,. it's just more fun to antagonize, diminish, and gloat in person than online because irl you can taste their tears.

You lick their face?

BananaKing

So you made this thread to brag about how smart you are?