Sony's Jim Ryan interview: 'We don't need to buy exclusivity'

Started by Legend, Aug 14, 2014, 06:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

gooch_destroyer 1 hour ago

"Do we feel the need to go out and buy outright exclusivity? Probably not"
Does Sony actively engage with the indie studios to secure exclusive games and content or is it a case of them approaching Sony?
It's a bit of both. We worked really hard this time around just to make the platform accessible to smaller developers - it's not having silly rules and procedures and bureaucracy, keeping the paperwork to a minimum, facilitating access to development kits, having a development environment that's fundamentally a whole lot easier to work with than it was last time around...
It's that approach, which makes us friendlier to indie devs, and on top of that, the icing on the cake is that we will go out and look at a small number of games and seek to help the developer make those games as  successful as they possibly can, and that support can take a whole range of forms.
It can take the form of financial support, it can take the form of having Sean Murray from Hello Games on the stage at E3, there are many ways to do it and we try not to be prescriptive and say "this is the template you have to follow, this is the path." We just talk to each of the indies that we really want to work closely with and find out what presses their hot button and see what we can do to help them. Sometimes we can, and sometimes we can't.
"You can't have too many remastered PS3 games on PS4, otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen"

The rest is in the link. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474307/interviews/sonys-jim-ryan-interview-we-dont-need-to-buy-exclusivity/

Xevross

So, we don't pay straight up just for exclusivity but I'm not saying we don't give them money.

lulz

Dr. Pezus

Lol @gooch_destroyer

ethomaz

Max King of the Wild

I love the people bringing up Destiny and exclusive marketing and not realizing how it's most likely evidence going against buying exclusive Dlc. 1. They probably reserved the exclusive DLC by agreeing to market the game. When marketing costs tens of millions of dollars then I'm sure that's more beneficial than writing a check. Basically, sony didn't pay Activision for the exclusive stuf.

Legend

Lol @gooch_destroyer

Maybe I should make a thread about how he doesn't post threads over here lol.