PS4 Lead Architect Talks Whether We'll See Another Console Generation

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 14, 2014, 06:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Mark Cerny has revealed he thinks it's ludicrous how readily people are discussing whether we'll see another console generation so soon after the launch of the latest one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/13/ps4-lead-architect-talks-whether-well-see-another-console-generation?abthid=53c41ace63f614071600001c

rekcuff

I agree, it is absurd, but not for the same reason. I think is ludicrous because it's a Muti billion dollar a year industry and the only  ones losing  money is Microsoft And a few game labels. I'll tell u now there will definitely be another generation of consoles in the next 5-7 years.
I live the perfect life every night. . . Then I wake up.

darkknightkryta

The game industry is changing.  It's really up to the core gamers to keep it going and for publishers to keep budgets in check.

Legend

Smartphone games are like arcade games. They're fun, but I think that'll be the side of the industry that drops. Home systems will be super different, but large screen gaming isn't going away imo.

darkknightkryta

Smartphone games are like arcade games. They're fun, but I think that'll be the side of the industry that drops. Home systems will be super different, but large screen gaming isn't going away imo.

Large screen gaming won't go away, the problem is that the trash games that soccer moms buy for their kids are going to go away.  Which sounds good at first, but those trash games kept devs in the black.  I'm not sure big publishers can rely on expensive games without that income.  Which leaves trash in mobile for them to live off of like Square and Capcom are doing.  But this leaves a barren console market.  It's only a matter of time before Apple and 3rd party Android vendors start pushing set top devices and take over.  It's actually critical that the Playstation TV gets a hold of that market before Amazon, Apple or Samsung enters it.  Cause if they don't we'll see what's happening to mobile happen to consoles.

7H3

I think in this day and age the big AAA studios that want to make that awesome SP experience need to rethink their publishing... IE: staggered release. Release the first part of the story a 2-4 hour experience with replay value, and say if/when it reaches a goal of 500k units sold release the next chapter (or start working on the next chapter), then so on and so forth. Sure they can still make it to where it comes out to the same average price of new games, but this way they can see if there is a market for that game with less cost of development up front. If the public seems interested then go forward with production. An initial release like I am speaking in this scenario should be 10-15 USD maybe 20 depending on how much has been developed and released.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Jul 15, 2014, 05:02 AM Last Edit: Jul 15, 2014, 07:18 PM by Legend

Large screen gaming won't go away, the problem is that the trash games that soccer moms buy for their kids are going to go away.  Which sounds good at first, but those trash games kept devs in the black.  I'm not sure big publishers can rely on expensive games without that income.  Which leaves trash in mobile for them to live off of like Square and Capcom are doing.  But this leaves a barren console market.  It's only a matter of time before Apple and 3rd party Android vendors start pushing set top devices and take over.  It's actually critical that the Playstation TV gets a hold of that market before Amazon, Apple or Samsung enters it.  Cause if they don't we'll see what's happening to mobile happen to consoles.

The "trash" games are never going to go away. The system playing them will just change.

Mobile is going to crash within a few years. Yes there's a lot of money to be made, but it's far too random. The angry birds, clash of clans, flappy birds, etc. make billions of dollars but other companies can't just come in and take a slice of the pie. Square and Capcom will/are coming in and will make some money, but they won't even make a fraction of what those one hit wonders make. Smaller guys will be fine with mobile, but imo the big guys are going to be forced out by low returns.

These "trash" games will go with them.

Set top devices are the future. Traditional home consoles will most definitely die off, but that happened 10+ years ago. PS4 and XBOX ONE are highly social boxes that stream all of our content outside of video games. PS3 was the number one device people used to watch Netflix. Not number one console, but number one out of everything that can stream it. When a person wants to watch Netflix on their TV or stream some content from Hulu, they go on their system. As core gaming devices become cheaper through the gen and get increased media support, there's only a very small audience left that's interested in an Apple TV or Roku, even if those things start playing games on the side.

PS TV will sadly fail. I love it to death, but it's viewed as a sub par gaming device and will be a sub par media streaming device. Lot's of people will enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but it's not going to break in and dominate any market unless PS NOW acts as a Netflix of gaming.

I think in this day and age the big AAA studios that want to make that awesome SP experience need to rethink their publishing... IE: staggered release. Release the first part of the story a 2-4 hour experience with replay value, and say if/when it reaches a goal of 500k units sold release the next chapter (or start working on the next chapter), then so on and so forth. Sure they can still make it to where it comes out to the same average price of new games, but this way they can see if there is a market for that game with less cost of development up front. If the public seems interested then go forward with production. An initial release like I am speaking in this scenario should be 10-15 USD maybe 20 depending on how much has been developed and released.

No thank you.

I honestly think that could kill the entire AAA industry. The idea is just so appalling for consumers that very few people would even be interested in the first "episode." Sure it saves publishers money, but it also destroys their chances of making money back. The TV industry is already seriously criticized for canceling 65% of their shows after the first season. 65% or more of games being canceled after the first episode would just be unbelievably messed up.

EDT: if you missed the ironic subtext of the gif