What Does it Take to Bend Your New iPhone? 70–90 Pounds.

Started by 7H3, Sep 27, 2014, 08:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469381,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+(PCMag.com+Breaking+News)

Hopefully you haven't spent the last few days freaking out about your brand-new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus purchase. We figure it's probably tough to maintain composure when you have everyone telling you that looking at your smartphone the wrong way might bend its aluminum shell. Heaven forbid you put it in your pocket, where even the slightest misstep in sitting could crunch your iPhone 6 in half.
Right?
Consumer Reports recently put the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and a handful of other competing smartphones to the test--a will-it-blend bit of destruction, if you replace a crazy-powerful blender with a big device that's designed to test just how much pressure these smartphones can take before they give out. The fancy term for the crunch test is called a "three-point flexural test." In other words, the phone sits in place on two points, like a bridge between two posts, and a device pushes down into its center from the top.

I really doubt that guy in the vid the other day put 70lbs of pressure on the phone to bend it...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

DD_Bwest

i already saw it fail the ultimate test.  RatedRR shot it with a 50BMG round,   thing was left in thousands of pieces :P

7H3

i already saw it fail the ultimate test.  RatedRR shot it with a 50BMG round,   thing was left in thousands of pieces :P

hmm very interesting product review
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

the-pi-guy

They should've done a couple of tests if they didn't. 
70 lbs kind of sounds like a lot, and not so much at the same time. 

the-pi-guy

Also think they should have tried a few different locations. 

Xevross

I don't have a new iphone

the-pi-guy