Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I was thinking about planck length and how since it's the smallest unit possible, it'd have to define a universal reference point.
Why would that follow?

Legend

Why would that follow?
Because then the world would have to be "voxel" like and objects would have to bounce from spot to spot. This fundamental grid would be defined with its own default velocity.

the-pi-guy

Because then the world would have to be "voxel" like and objects would have to bounce from spot to spot. This fundamental grid would be defined with its own default velocity.

I see what you mean .

Legend

I see what you mean .
I watched this a while ago

The stuff beyond the first person seemed so crackpotty but that led me to thinking about the world as a voxel engine and thus my original thought.

Kerotan

I went to the space exhibition in Moscow this summer. Very interesting to see the space race from the other side of the coin. Fascinating trip.

They had these young female workers walking around watching you as if you were some sort of cia or mi5 spy lol. Thought that was funny.

the-pi-guy

Bill gates showing how much data fits on a CD - 1994 .

Reddit - pics - Bill Gates illustrating the storage capacity of a CD, 1994

Each piece of paper is about 2000 bytes. 1 tb contains 1e+12 bites bytes of data. 1 trillion divided by 2000 is about 500 million, so 1tb would be about 500 million piece of paper.

Your average piece of paper is about .1mm thick. That means your stack of paper is about 500,000 meters tall. (1640419.95 feet for us freedom lovers). Thats 310 miles tall.

In comparison the ISS is only about 249 miles tall high. But since he's got two stacks of paper, he's only going up about 160 miles. He couldn't breathe and would need a space suit.

His tower would cost a lot. A sheet of paper is about 6 cents. That means for his 500 million sheets its gonna cost about 30 million dollars, however, that pales in comparison to his 85.7 billion net worth. (In fact, its only 0.035 percent of his net worth.)

The tower would also weigh a lot. Each sheet of paper weighs about .16 ounces, making the tower weigh 80 million ounces. Thats 5 million pounds, or about 108 fully loaded 747s. Even more surprising, that surpasses how much OPs mom weighs by about 1 million pounds

edit:

Some disagree on the price. This was the first thing that popped up on google when I searched for price of a piece of paper. On second glance, it appears that it might be including the cost of the ink. (Going off of price of wasted page.) Given that the point of the drive is to store the text, when that text would have to be printed, I think the number is still right; but it includes ink.

Byte was spelled as bite a few times, this has been fixed.

Yes, the ISS is 249 miles high, not tall. (Just like r/trees)

edit #2:

I fat fingered the weight of a 747 when typing into calculator. We are looking at closer to 5 fully loaded 747s.

As some have pointed out there may have been another fat fingering in the 10s place for the weight. working on that right now

edit #3:

There was fat fingering on the weight/height. I am off by a factor of 10. Stack is only 50,000 meters (31 miles) tall, and only weighs 500,000 pounds. The stack only weighs half of a 747, but is still taller than mount everest, the heights your airliner flys at, and pretty much everything that isn't the ISS or a satellite. You would still need a space suit

edit #4:

More fat fingering being done here than OPs mom in an orgy

Legend

I always love thinking about how mundane things today would be impossible even for kings a few generations ago.

Thinking about this, could every single word ever written on paper in history fit on a smartphone? It'd need to be compressed heavily.

the-pi-guy

Thinking about this, could every single word ever written on paper in history fit on a smartphone? It'd need to be compressed heavily.
I feel like this is really difficult to quantify.  

Would that include different copies of the same book?
Even if no, would that include different versions of the same book?

Would that include notebooks?
If yes, would that include what would essentially be different versions of the same notebook?

Legend

I feel like this is really difficult to quantify.  

Would that include different copies of the same book?
Even if no, would that include different versions of the same book?

Would that include notebooks?
If yes, would that include what would essentially be different versions of the same notebook?
Did some math.

For each text or group of texts, do regular text compression but per word instead of per letter. That could get it down to 1 or 2 bytes per word on average. Then say an average book is 100,000 words and google says 130,000,000 books have been written. It'd take terabytes at least to store everything.

So for modern smart phones it's a no, but in a generation or two it might be possible.

Copies don't really matter as long as you can compress them off the original.

Legend

How many Planets are there in the Solar System :: The Planets Today

I knew about Ceres but I had no idea that so many other bodies were thought of as planets. Wonder if it'll bump back up in the near future with the potential planet past Pluto.

Legend

nnodley

How many Planets are there in the Solar System :: The Planets Today

I knew about Ceres but I had no idea that so many other bodies were thought of as planets. Wonder if it'll bump back up in the near future with the potential planet past Pluto.
dang that's a pretty cool simulation of the movements of the planets.  Funny seeing how slow the outer planets are compared to the inner one.  

Legend

the-pi-guy

I should make a math thread.  

Xevross

I was thinking about planck length and how since it's the smallest unit possible, it'd have to define a universal reference point. Then I went to Wikipedia and found out it's a common misconception and planck length isn't the smallest unit.

TIL
I should really click this thread more! As a physics student I cried a little reading this. "smallest unit" really doesn't make any sense. You can always go smaller if you had a way to measure that small.

Go Up