Uncharted 2 Train level - How it works.

Started by the-pi-guy, May 12, 2018, 02:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Uncharted 2 Train level - How it works. | ResetEra

I found this fascinating.  They probably use the same method in LL too.  

nnodley

Yeah love that youtube channel.  Makes deconstructing how levels are made super easy.

SWORDF1SH

Interesting. Are there any other youtubers that do this sort of thing?

Legend

I noticed the loop when I played it, mostly since I really liked the visualls and literally just hung out to observe the environment.

Interesting. Are there any other youtubers that do this sort of thing?
GDC has good videos. Same with noclip documentaries. Also boundary break.

Xevross

Lol wow that is so clever. They knew less than 1% of players would notice it, and about 1% of those would think negatively of it, so they just did it in that clever way to save resources. I feel like the magic of it has gone now though :'(

Legend

Lol wow that is so clever. They knew less than 1% of players would notice it, and about 1% of those would think negatively of it, so they just did it in that clever way to save resources. I feel like the magic of it has gone now though :'(
It's not just about saving resources, but guaranteeing that people can play through the level at whatever speed they take. Otherwise they'd need to put a timer in the game counting down to a bomb or something that'd guarantee the player reaches the front of the train within a set time limit.

Another fun fact, Fallout 3 used an NPC with a custom hat to make a train move
Image result for fallout subway hat

the-pi-guy

It's not just about saving resources, but guaranteeing that people can play through the level at whatever speed they take. Otherwise they'd need to put a timer in the game counting down to a bomb or something that'd guarantee the player reaches the front of the train within a set time limit.
Otherwise you could procedurally create the environment as you go along.

Wow.  That's insane.  

Far more interesting is the Presidential Metro Train in Fallout 3's Broken Steel DLC. It turns out it was easier to make the train car a piece of head armor and slap it onto an NPC than it was to make a working vehicle. The NPC (with train hat) can be spawned wherever it needs to be. All you see is the train car on the tracks, but under the surface is a person with a train on her head.
This is too hilarious.

SWORDF1SH

That's some interesting information. I think this sort of stuff should have it's own thread.