Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Legend

Just was looking at this on ERA. fudgy rad!
Eh it's not that crazy  ::) Mars has been known to have water ice for years and in general any liquid water is too salty to be a super likely home for alien life. Also it might not even be true. The last time liquid water was announced it ended up being a false discovery.

But it's still super awesome since it gets people excited.

Dr. Pezus

Eh it's not that crazy  ::) Mars has been known to have water ice for years and in general any liquid water is too salty to be a super likely home for alien life. Also it might not even be true. The last time liquid water was announced it ended up being a false discovery.

You're super salty!

Kerotan

I wonder if earth will also look like Mars in a billion years.

Xevross

I wonder if earth will also look like Mars in a billion years.
Depends if we destroy ourselves with nukes like the Martians did ;)

Water appearing in more places is still great, even if there's no life potential in those places. It just shows more and more how impossibly unlikely it is that we are alone.

Legend

Depends if we destroy ourselves with nukes like the Martians did ;)
Water appearing in more places is still great, even if there's no life potential in those places. It just shows more and more how impossibly unlikely it is that we are alone.
Water is everywhere. Europa has more liquid water than Earth even.

If anything it shows that water isn't what we should think about when looking for aliens.

Legend

I just saw Saturn through a telescope for the first time. Looked about like this:
Image result for saturn through telescope

Crazy awesome to see the rings!!! It just feels so "real" and alien.

DD_Bwest

Showed my gf the ISS the other day.  even with the extreme light polution my phone managed to grab it no problem

Legend

Showed my gf the ISS the other day.  even with the extreme light polution my phone managed to grab it no problem
ISS can be so freaking bright at times. I get a text from NASA when it'll be passing over with good visibility and it's always fun.

Have you seen an Iridium flare yet?

DD_Bwest

ISS can be so freaking bright at times. I get a text from NASA when it'll be passing over with good visibility and it's always fun.

Have you seen an Iridium flare yet?
Nope, Thats one phenomenon i would love to see.  but dont get out enough to really look.  i wanna move close to my work, and closer to a "night park"  our city has thats tucked between mountains and reserved for star gazing etc.

Legend

Nope, Thats one phenomenon i would love to see.  but dont get out enough to really look.  i wanna move close to my work, and closer to a "night park"  our city has thats tucked between mountains and reserved for star gazing etc.
You need to use an app for Iridium flares since they're so rare yet highly predictable. There's a big piece of reflective metal on the old Iridium satellites and the "flare" is when they reflect the sun directly towards your location on the ground. I've only seen one and tbh it wasn't that amazing but it was still pretty cool and brighter than the ISS.

It's so crazy awesome being in really dark places. I really want to start taking my telescope when I go camping.

Legend

Legend

The opportunity rover on Mars might be dead. Thought y'all might be interested in that.

Hopefully it has survived though. Only time will tell.

Legend

I was thinking about planck length and how since it's the smallest unit possible, it'd have to define a universal reference point. Then I went to Wikipedia and found out it's a common misconception and planck length isn't the smallest unit.

TIL

Go Up