I really want to complain about the Netflix Bright movie

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Feb 21, 2018, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The world building in this movie sucked. On a technical level it's objectively horrible and my personal opinion is that it didn't have any potential to begin with. Pretty much every critic and person in real life agrees with me, yet specifically on Reddit it's really loved for its world building (hey, maybe even you really liked its world building!). So why is that?

I believe it's due to "refrigerator magnet" world building, as defined by Lindsay Ellis. Bright treats worldbuilding like tossing magnets on a refrigerator. Add a centaur magnet, add a fairy magnet, add a dragon magnet, etc. They have absolutely no impact on the world and are just lazily slapped on the surface. Yet the casual viewer isn't going to think about this and will instead walk away impressed. The movie somewhat subtly inserts these magnets so viewers get less time to analyse them, and will even feel initially smart for noticing them ala "show don't tell."

So it's understandable that people would initially really like the worldbuilding, but it's kinda frustrating that "tease the movie is well made but don't show enough for it to become painfully obvious the movie is bad" has become a semi successful method. I've noticed other films follow this approach too so hopefully with time this trend will become too noticable to casual viewers and the technique will die off.