What do you do for a living/career?

Started by Shinobi-san, Aug 19, 2014, 06:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Silverf0x

Yes, that is great. How do you like it?

It's fine. I get to do the same thing over and over again in sequential order, which gives me the structure necessary to not be overwhelmed, and also lets me detach myself emotionally and intellectually. In other words, I can live in my own little world inside my head and still get things done well.
The only thing to fear is fear incarnated as a Japanese schoolgirl.

ethomaz

It's fine. I get to do the same thing over and over again in sequential order, which gives me the structure necessary to not be overwhelmed, and also lets me detach myself emotionally and intellectually. In other words, I can live in my own little world inside my head and still get things done well.

It is... cool... I mean I never thought in that way and seems really cool and make sense.

Silverf0x

It is... cool... I mean I never thought in that way and seems really cool and make sense.

It makes even more sense if you have Asperger Syndrome.

darkknightkryta

It makes even more sense if you have Asperger Syndrome.

Nice, sort of off topic, but I was in a heated argument with DirtyP from VGC.  He was ranting that people like you shouldn't be given a livable wage doing that job.  Yet, this job works for you so why shouldn't you?

Dr. Pezus

Nice, sort of off topic, but I was in a heated argument with DirtyP from VGC.  He was ranting that people like you shouldn't be given a livable wage doing that job.  Yet, this job works for you so why shouldn't you?

DirtyP...oh god

darkknightkryta

DirtyP...oh god

That guy is honest to god a [NSFW] Piece of shame[/NSFW] I had to leave the thread or else I was gonna get banned.  The fact that someone can honestly say that being stuck at McDonalds or stocking groceries/produce should stay poor and be on the streets makes me lose hope for humanity.

Silverf0x

My particular situation is complicated and will likely change drastically in the next few years (I'm 19 years old, btw). But I do think that if someone wants to make a career out of fast food work, he/she should be able to. It's hard to determine how much someone should be paid full-time though, since livability is relative.

darkknightkryta

My particular situation is complicated and will likely change drastically in the next few years (I'm 19 years old, btw). But I do think that if someone wants to make a career out of fast food work, he/she should be able to. It's hard to determine how much someone should be paid full-time though, since livability is relative.

That's what I'm getting at.  Every job needs to be filled.  Should someone working full time at fast food get paid 400k a year?  No.  Should they get at least 40k (Up here in Toronto you'd need 50)?  Yup.

Xevross

There is a career to be had because you can work your way up through the pecking order. Shift manager-> floor manager -> store manager etc.

I wish you good luck with your job anyway :)

BananaKing

That guy is honest to god a |NSFW Content Hidden| I had to leave the thread or else I was gonna get banned.  The fact that someone can honestly say that being stuck at McDonalds or stocking groceries/produce should stay poor and be on the streets makes me lose hope for humanity.

the sad thing is, people dont value those who work jobs that help others on a daily basis. waiters are often treated wrong, but look at how much they help and serve others in a day. people love fast food, but they sadly, sometimes mock those people working at it. people like DirtyP disgust me.

Silverf0x

There is a career to be had because you can work your way up through the pecking order. Shift manager-> floor manager -> store manager etc.

I wish you good luck with your job anyway :)

Store managers make serious money, for sure. But it takes many years of work and education to reach that level.

Xevross

Store managers make serious money, for sure. But it takes many years of work and education to reach that level.

As does every career!

the-pi-guy

I'm currently working at Walmart. 

In a few weeks, I will be starting my first semester at a University and will eventually (hopefully) get a degree in Computer Science.  I am mucking around with the idea of a few others in addition, but we'll see. 

Just to expand on this.  It is very likely I may double major in Computer Science and Mathematics.  :)

Raven

Anyone who works should be paid a living wage. There should never be a time where we debate whether or not someone who is actually going to their job day in and day out deserves to make enough money to survive based on the living expenses of their area. I'm really getting fed up with a system that rewards greed and punishes people who just want to live.

Riderz1337

I work at No Frills which is a grocery store and I stock items. Start College on September 3 but I'll still be working just so I can help pay for my school.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Go Up