What would super intelligence be like?

Started by Legend, Sep 09, 2018, 05:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Through AI, genetic editing, or something else, it's highly likely that our society will eventually have human like beings that are incredibly intelligent. What would that be like?

If a cyborg is 1,000,000 times smarter than a human, can you predict what they'd be capable of? Sci fi always tries to side step this but I'm wondering how it'd work if you didn't side step it. They'd know the answer to every question or else know what info they need to learn to figure out the answer. Math would essentially become "complete" with almost all problems either being solved or proven unsolvable. There would still be ways in which math could advance, but they'd be dependent on the society discovering new unsolved questions about the world. Physics and engineering would probably advance in a similar way: a huge explosion solving near everything but then being held back by a lack of real world experiments and data. Society would probably normalize to where way less people worked on "pen and paper advancements" since they'd solve questions faster than new info could come in. A bigger focus would be put on telescopes and lab experiments.

the-pi-guy

Math wouldn't be completed, and can't be completed.  
What would actually happen in mathematics, is it would be impossible for humans to contribute to any of the new mathematics.  Even the brightest people would theoretically have to spend a few lifetimes just to catch up to be able to find anything new.  At which point, a super intelligence would have already discovered that math.  

In the 1600's, a brilliant mathematician could contribute to every region of mathematics and understand a huge portion of it.  No mathematician can contribute in every region anymore.  

The current education system looks like this:
phd infographic

In the case of a super intelligence, the circle would grow faster than anyone could learn.  

At some point, I'd imagine that people would similarly be understood.  Anything on Earth could be predicted with incredible accuracy.  

Legend

Math wouldn't be completed, and can't be completed.  
What would actually happen in mathematics, is it would be impossible for humans to contribute to any of the new mathematics.  Even the brightest people would theoretically have to spend a few lifetimes just to catch up to be able to find anything new.  At which point, a super intelligence would have already discovered that math.  

In the 1600's, a brilliant mathematician could contribute to every region of mathematics and understand a huge portion of it.  No mathematician can contribute in every region anymore.  

The current education system looks like this:
phd infographic

In the case of a super intelligence, the circle would grow faster than anyone could learn.  

At some point, I'd imagine that people would similarly be understood.  Anything on Earth could be predicted with incredible accuracy.  
That's a cool picture.

I put "complete" in quotes since there would be more that could be added but they'd run out of fundamental questions needing to be solved. The sphere would grow faster than a regular human could learn, but even a snapshot of the sphere would have the mysteries of math so far away that a human would need more than a lifetime just to get a surface level explanation of what the question of an unsolved problem is.

Yeah from the point of view as a non super intelligent being in this society, you would not be able to contribute anything to society except your friendship. You'd be like a dog in today's world.

BananaKing

Just come and hang out with me and you'll know