Poll: will Tesla survive?

Started by Legend, Sep 07, 2018, 03:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Things are simultaneously going really good and really bad for the car maker. The stock has dropped over 25% in the past month, their chief accounting officer resigned today after only 1 month on the job, and Elon Musk is having all sorts of controversies right now including the weird way he tried to take the company private.

At the same time, production on their new car is improving and it's selling great. Also they're working on a new Roadster and an electric shipping truck.

So how do you predict the future of Tesla will go?

I think they have already been too successful to die. Worst case scenario would be they go bankrupt and get absorbed into another company. I think the likely scenario is that they stay afloat by the skin of their teeth and get through this period, as long as the economy as a whole doesn't go down.

the-pi-guy

I think they'll be fine, long term.  
Musk needs to stop picking at controversies.  

the-pi-guy

"Once, someone recounted, the men's bathroom was so busy that an employee put toilet paper down next to a clogged toilet and defecated right there."

42 Tesla employees reveal the frenzy of working at Tesla under the 'cult' of Elon Musk | ResetEra

I couldn't copy everything because it's a really long article but here's some highlights:
http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/te...ntense-conditions-life-under-elon-musk-2018-8

"Elon basically does what he wants, whenever he wants," the person who witnessed the apparent date told Business Insider. (Tesla disputes this was a date and said this was primarily a business dinner that the person was invited to).

And it might also be Tesla's biggest weakness. The scrappy, feel-good company, built in Musk's image, also bears many of his flaws -- a place where long hours, chaos, callousness, and contradictions can grind workers down, many employees said.

All the people we spoke with are either currently employed by Tesla or have been in the past year. They've held a variety of jobs, from entry level to managers, in engineering, production, and sales, at the Fremont headquarters and factory, the "Gigafactory" in Nevada and other locations. Some requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press, while others were authorized by Tesla and spoke with us in unmonitored, private conversations.

"People quit within the first two hours, people quit after a week," Galescu said. "There was one guy who was fresh out of high school, 18 years old, never had a job before and was excited to work: 'I want to work seven days a week, 12 hours a day!' By about the fifth day, he was on the floor crying." The guy quit soon after.Click to expand...
Bathrooms at the facility -- which employs over 2,400 people and could eventually house 10,000 -- are scarce, often messy, and the lines to use them can be long, several employees told us.

Once, someone recounted, the men's bathroom was so busy that an employee put toilet paper down next to a clogged toilet and defecated right there.

The work is fast-paced and unpredictable. Making the numbers supersedes everything. Employees can be drafted without warning and put on an unfamiliar production line with a few minutes of training. During "burst builds" the production system is revved up to test whether it can perform at a certain rate.

The happiest Tesla employees, including Stewart, described themselves as workaholic types who want to work 70-plus hours a week.Click to expand...
"There's a big cult-like following for Elon," one software engineer said. "No company have I worked for, in our quarterly meetings, do you clap when a CEO walks into the podium. So that's just something that people do at Tesla."Click to expand...
Much more at the link.

Mod Edit: Please remember to only post excerpts of articles in OPs. Some of these excerpts have been truncated.  

darkknightkryta

Musk will most likely be taken out by the board sooner than later.

Dr. Pezus

Musk will most likely be taken out by the board sooner than later.
He's probably too valuable for them though

darkknightkryta

He's probably too valuable for them though
Keep him as an engineer?

Legend