the rules of internet arguments

Started by Legend, Jul 26, 2014, 07:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jul 26, 2014, 07:24 PM Last Edit: Jul 26, 2014, 08:06 PM by Legend
1.If you attack the persons credibility rather than the argument, you are a loser.

2.If you are lazy (ie "google it yourself," "it's right infront of you," "I told you ten pages back, go find it"), then you are a loser.

3.If you start arguing about the burdon of proof, then you are a loser.

Give me more! Then when we have our eventual arguments here, we'll be prepared ;)

DD_Bwest

If you attack the persons credibility rather than the argument, you are a loser.

7H3

if your user name has X'x in the front and end of it you are a loser :P
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Added bwest.

I don't get yours 7H3.

Also feel free to use your mod powers to update the list. I'm on mobile making it harder.

7H3

it's not really a rule... just that people that put x's in their user names on console are usually umm not that bright or original :/

Raven

1.If you attack the persons credibility rather than the argument, you are a loser.

2.If you are lazy (ie "google it yourself," "it's right infront of you," "I told you ten pages back, go find it"), then you are a loser.

3.If you start arguing about the burdon of proof, then you are a loser.

Give me more! Then when we have our eventual arguments here, we'll be prepared ;)

1. Yep. Most people go the ad hominem route because they can't actually defeat the argument. So instead they resort to character assassination in the hopes that people stop listening to them. However, it is important to note that attacking someone's credibility is perfectly acceptable in the event that the argument is whether or not the person is of some authority or at least heavily based on the premise.

2. I agree with this but I stop at when what the person is asking you to provide is something you've already been over multiple times already in the argument. Long running debates. especially on forums, can often get very tedious and tiresome. Potentially dragging on for days with a great many posts. If you've already provided it several times it is no longer your responsibility in the argument to provide it again. Especially if you can direct them to where they can quickly find it.

3. Holy crud, yes. This is one thing I completely agree on. Burden of proof is ALWAYS on the person making a positive claim. The moment you start denying that and saying it's up to the person questioning your claim you've already lost because you know you can't actually show proof or at least you're not even sure you can.

BananaKing

if you dont agree with anybody that has the word banana in his username. you are a loser, a sore loser.  and ugly as fudge.

7H3

if you post more than 2 reply posts you are the loser via succumbing to trolls

Xevross

if you dont agree with anybody that has the word banana in his username. you are a loser, a sore loser.  and ugly as fudge.

I agree :P