I'm Michael Armbrust, ask me anything

Started by Legend, Feb 25, 2015, 05:04 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would that be?

That's hard.

I like who I am, and I like believing I'm happy with who I am. Yeah sure I can change many natural things about me, but I believe I'm already working towards changing them. Like getting in better physical shape. As a dev sitting at a computer all day every day, I've kinda start to let myself go. So to combat that I'm on a strict diet and I'm exercising regularly. I want to be in better shape, so I'm working to make that happen. If I wanted to be in better shape and I wasn't working to make that happen, I'd feel kinda down about it. It'd be depressing watching good opportunity float by.

So everything I could naturally change about myself, is off limits for this question. Either I want to make the change and am working on it, or I'm not making the change and am lying to myself that it's not something I actually care about.

So what would I change about myself that I couldn't change on my own?

Well this is complex too because it requires me to wish I was another person. Yeah for something unrealistic like being the Sausage King of Chicago it doesn't matter, but for common things it does. Take height. I'm 5' 7". I'm that way purely out of chance, and the odds of being 6'+ are just as likely. To admit I wish I was 6'+ would be to admit I'm unhappy with the cards I was dealt at birth. I'd admit I'm unhappy with who I am at the core.

Since I'm stuck with this body and life, that's a pretty hard thing to admit! You're basically saying to yourself that you're unhappy with yourself and there's literally nothing you can do about it. So I really don't care about height. Being 6'+ would be different, but I wouldn't think of it being better.

So the cop out answer would be to say "nothing," or else something improbable like "live forever." My true answer is such:

If I could change one thing about myself, it'd be who I was in the past. You know how at every stage of your life you look back at the previous one and joke about how stupid/inexperienced you were? We have problems talking about our current issues, but we have no problems throwing our past selves under the bus. "Oh man I was such a dork in high school!" is fun to think since you don't believe you're a dork now. So using the power of hindsight being 20/20, I would change aspects of my past self. Specifically getting in shape sooner.

the-pi-guy

That's hard.

I like who I am, and I like believing I'm happy with who I am. Yeah sure I can change many natural things about me, but I believe I'm already working towards changing them. Like getting in better physical shape. As a dev sitting at a computer all day every day, I've kinda start to let myself go. So to combat that I'm on a strict diet and I'm exercising regularly. I want to be in better shape, so I'm working to make that happen. If I wanted to be in better shape and I wasn't working to make that happen, I'd feel kinda down about it. It'd be depressing watching good opportunity float by.

So everything I could naturally change about myself, is off limits for this question. Either I want to make the change and am working on it, or I'm not making the change and am lying to myself that it's not something I actually care about.

So what would I change about myself that I couldn't change on my own?

Well this is complex too because it requires me to wish I was another person. Yeah for something unrealistic like being the Sausage King of Chicago it doesn't matter, but for common things it does. Take height. I'm 5' 7". I'm that way purely out of chance, and the odds of being 6'+ are just as likely. To admit I wish I was 6'+ would be to admit I'm unhappy with the cards I was dealt at birth. I'd admit I'm unhappy with who I am at the core.

Since I'm stuck with this body and life, that's a pretty hard thing to admit! You're basically saying to yourself that you're unhappy with yourself and there's literally nothing you can do about it. So I really don't care about height. Being 6'+ would be different, but I wouldn't think of it being better.

So the cop out answer would be to say "nothing," or else something improbable like "live forever." My true answer is such:

If I could change one thing about myself, it'd be who I was in the past. You know how at every stage of your life you look back at the previous one and joke about how stupid/inexperienced you were? We have problems talking about our current issues, but we have no problems throwing our past selves under the bus. "Oh man I was such a dork in high school!" is fun to think since you don't believe you're a dork now. So using the power of hindsight being 20/20, I would change aspects of my past self. Specifically getting in shape sooner.

Really good deep answer. 

I'm pretty surprised about your height, to be honest.  Always imagined you to be taller.  :D
I think the willingness and the drive to strive to change yourself is an incredibly powerful thing. 

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

FLGibsonIII

favorite cheese?
All aboard the hype train.

Legend

Go Up