Theresa May Calls Snap UK Election on June 8th

Started by Xevross, Apr 18, 2017, 10:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

May to seek snap election for 8 June - BBC News

It has to go through parliament but she seems confident it will be called. Its a risk, but the Tories currently have an incredible lead in the polls.

GribbleGrunger

What's this thing we once had in the West? Oh, yeah, I think it was called democracy. Calling elections when it suits doesn't seem to fit the criteria.

Raven

What's this thing we once had in the West? Oh, yeah, I think it was called democracy. Calling elections when it suits doesn't seem to fit the criteria.
Definitely not consistent with Western ideals. This is something you'd expect to hear about from an Eastern regime.

Xevross

Well this is nonsense, parliament needs to vote 2/3 in favour of the motion for a general election to be called. Still a democratic process.

the-pi-guy

Debatable.  
I could argue that limiting votes to certain time periods is against democracy.  
Calling for a vote, means that people are able to make more immediate decisions, whereas if people don't like the current government, they are stuck with that.  

Democracy isn't about holding onto the torch because you won the last popularity contest, its about giving people a say.  

GribbleGrunger

Debatable. 
Calling for a vote, means that people are able to make more immediate decisions, whereas if people don't like the current government, they are stuck with that. 

Democracy isn't about holding onto the torch because you won the last popularity contest, its about giving people a say. 
Yes, but why call it now? Could it be that it's because the Cons are topping the polls? ALL parties should have the right to 'prepare' for an election and that isn't just gearing up for the campaign, that's laying groundwork too. We all know politics has become simply about finding the most 'popular' approach and so policies are built around this, which isn't something I particularly like. If I had a chance to ask a politician one question to decide on whether I would consider voting for them, it would be 'are you prepared to lose the election because of your policies?' If they answered 'yes' then they'd get my respect even if they didn't get my vote in the end.

Raven

Well this is nonsense, parliament needs to vote 2/3 in favour of the motion for a general election to be called. Still a democratic process.
Debatable. 

It's not consistent with Western ideals. Polls go up and down at different times for different reasons. What happens when you hold this election now and tomorrow polls show a different party is more popular? Guess what, the "say of the people" gets blocked by the party who took the government under that same pretense. Because they ultimately don't care about "your say". They just want in and they want in now. There's a good reason why most democracies aren't true democracies. Because too many people are stupid, naive, and easily manipulated. Holding elections because it suits a particular party's interest is inviting disaster. Government wouldn't be able to get anything done because it would turn into a 24/7 campaign trail. A political victory won today overturned later in the year. Not always in favor of your ideals, either. Elections should always be done at routine times unless some kind of world-ending emergency happens. Not treated like random parties being thrown because you want to spike someone's drink to get laid.

the-pi-guy

It's not consistent with Western ideals. Polls go up and down at different times for different reasons. What happens when you hold this election now and tomorrow polls show a different party is more popular? Guess what, the "say of the people" gets blocked by the party who took the government under that same pretense. Because they ultimately don't care about "your say". They just want in and they want in now. There's a good reason why most democracies aren't true democracies. Because too many people are stupid, naive, and easily manipulated. Holding elections because it suits a particular party's interest is inviting disaster. Government wouldn't be able to get anything done because it would turn into a 24/7 campaign trail. A political victory won today overturned later in the year. Not always in favor of your ideals, either. Elections should always be done at routine times unless some kind of world-ending emergency happens. Not treated like random parties being thrown because you want to spike someone's drink to get laid.
Of course it isn't.  
I'm merely pointing out the issue isn't that it's non-democratic.  It's entirely democratic.  

Whether that's a good thing or not, tends towards not.  Most people are either too short sighted, or too selfish, etc, to be able to make decisions for the common people.  

Raven

Apr 18, 2017, 02:09 PM Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017, 02:13 PM by Raven
Of course it isn't.  
I'm merely pointing out the issue isn't that it's non-democratic.  It's entirely democratic.  

Whether that's a good thing or not, tends towards not.  Most people are either too short sighted, or too selfish, etc, to be able to make decisions for the common people.  
I think that's where GribbleGrunger was going with this. I think he was just saying "undemocratic" while meaning that it's not how a Western democracy is supposed to be run.

After all, China has a "democracy". Where the people come together to vote for the only party they're allowed to.

GribbleGrunger

I think that's where GribbleGrunger was going with this. I think he was just saying "undemocratic" while meaning that it's not how a Western democracy is supposed to be run.

After all, China has a "democracy". Where the people come together to vote for the only party they're allowed to.
Essentially, yes.

I haven't been involved in politics for a good 25 years now and the reason I lost interest is because I realised how fickle parties could be when wanting to gain favour with the voters. In a true democracy with 'valid' leaders, I'd expect at least SOME agreement, but NO ... It always amazed me how parties wanted to demonstrate how 'opposite' they were to the other party, as if without that identity there wouldn't be a need for three parties, just one that came together with viable ways of making society better. Ah, but why would we want that, eh?

The puppeteers are too wealthy to allow it.

Xevross

Just went out and voted labour with my friends. Hoping for a hung parliament  :D

Xevross

Shock exit poll: tories lose their majority!!!!