VizionEck

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I keep on having to remind myself it's a game not a simulator.
Why not both!  

All I'm really doing is dampening changes in movement so the player feels more grounded in the universe. It's incredibly standard.
Would be interesting to give objects a momentum property, and give objects a friction property, and if they collide then it changes their momentum.  
Also make some sort of invisible air particle so that air slows things down too.  

Any idea how games simulate wind (aside from just animating everything)?
I had a thought of making like a wind field kind of thing.  Kind of like a height map, where every coordinate on the map coordinates to a value, except the value would coordinate with a wind speed.

Legend

Why not both!  

Would be interesting to give objects a momentum property, and give objects a friction property, and if they collide then it changes their momentum.  
Also make some sort of invisible air particle so that air slows things down too.  

Any idea how games simulate wind (aside from just animating everything)?
I had a thought of making like a wind field kind of thing.  Kind of like a height map, where every coordinate on the map coordinates to a value, except the value would coordinate with a wind speed.
I'm pretty sure they either just make it windy everywhere or else have wind zones that determine the wind in their general area. A height map type thing would be incredibly inefficient unless your gameplay had extremely severe wind. So many pixels would have essentially identical wind values.

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure they either just make it windy everywhere or else have wind zones that determine the wind in their general area.
A height map type thing would be incredibly inefficient unless your gameplay had extremely severe wind. So many pixels would have essentially identical wind values.
That makes sense.

SWORDF1SH

Oh liking physics is the worst part!!!

I keep on having to remind myself it's a game not a simulator.Don't really know. Will try out a lot of things and playtest a lot of games. Once I've narrowed down my general thoughts, I'll probably leave it to the private beta for tweaking.

All I'm really doing is dampening changes in movement so the player feels more grounded in the universe. It's incredibly standard.
So you're going for a more weighty feel? Do you plan on making movement slow and steady, for example like the witness, or zippy and light (or any variants in between).

Legend

So you're going for a more weighty feel? Do you plan on making movement slow and steady, for example like the witness, or zippy and light (or any variants in between).
Probably "zippy and light," just less zippy and light than what's currently implemented.

Right now if you jump forward in the air and let go of the stick, you immediately stop moving forward. At the very least it should take a few frames for you to stop.

SWORDF1SH

Sep 27, 2016, 02:36 PM Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016, 05:17 PM by SWORDF1SH
Probably "zippy and light," just less zippy and light than what's currently implemented.

Right now if you jump forward in the air and let go of the stick, you immediately stop moving forward. At the very least it should take a few frames for you to stop.
I see, so the response of input commands are instant atm but you want to keep the responsiveness but not make the controls to wooly and loose and find some sort of middle ground. Will you be able to move left or right when you jump or only be able to control the distance of the jump?

Legend

I see, so the response of input commands are instant atm but you want to keep the responsiveness but not make the controls to wooly and lose and find some sort of middle ground. Will you be able to move left or right when you jump or only be able to control the distance of the jump?
You'll have full control of your cube in air, at least in the standard game mode.

Legend

I hate cutting things from the game. It helps release it sooner, but sometimes you just need to screw it and develop the thing.

SWORDF1SH

I hate cutting things from the game. It helps release it sooner, but sometimes you just need to screw it and develop the thing.
Sean Murrey, is that you??? Lol just kidding.

Honestly if I was developing a game it would be a mess of ideas and half implemented stuff.

I suppose hard choices are ahead of you, what to keep and what to scrap!

the-pi-guy

Replace "novel" with "game"

I kid.

Oh no!  Things was my favorite feature, and it's being cut.  :(

the-pi-guy

Old video.
Don't think I've seen this before.  :o

Legend

Fun video.

Tbh making VizionEck ps4 exclusive has helped with marketing. Fanboys are awesome!

SWORDF1SH

Fun video.

Tbh making VizionEck ps4 exclusive has helped with marketing. Fanboys are awesome!
Did it really get hate from people? I have no idea why an interesting concept trying something unique would get hate. Personally I'm buying the Super-dooper Legend The Bro Edition for triple the price

Legend

Did it really get hate from people? I have no idea why an interesting concept trying something unique would get hate. Personally I'm buying the Super-dooper Legend The Bro Edition for triple the price
Oh it got some hate lol. There was even a petition to block it from being ported to xbox. Practically no one signed it, but someone felt enough anger to start one.

The console wars were so strong back then.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Have you invested in the forum sub yet?

Go Up