Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power announced

Started by Dr. Pezus, Mar 02, 2015, 01:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

3D glasses aren't really intended to be worn with glasses. 
Very different with VR.

VR will correct my vision so that i don't have to wear two sets of headgear?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

To bad nobody has invented an alternative to glasses.

what's your suggestion?,..  that i should get contacts or lasik to meet today's technology instead of technology fitting into my needs?

...exactly why you guys are so blind to the impending flop.

the-pi-guy

Have you ever gone biking?
Did you wear a helmet or the glasses? 

Ideally, they should be built with the expectation that some will be wearing glasses. 
I think Morpheus works with glasses, but I think some complained that it was a little uncomfortable, hopefully they'll fix that. 

the-pi-guy

what's your suggestion?,..  that i should get contacts or lasik to meet today's technology instead of technology fitting into my needs?

A combination of blind faith and high excitement for the closest thing ever invented to that childhood dream. 

Legend

How are glasses a hassle? 

The active ones are kinda heavy sometimes. They also make it harder to do other things while playing, such as checking your phone during loading. I can see his point about them.

they changed up and dumbed down the gameplay a ton.  the biggest, most notable difference was with the thief.  in 1 you could use your hookshot thing on almost any surface in the game.  in 2 they limited it to specific surfaces.   oh sure,.. in 1 i could "break the game" by using my hookshot and swinging myself to scale up obstacles i wasn't technically suppose to scale and therefore found myself out side of the level boundaries on occasion but "web slinging" around was soooo much fun.

basically going from 1 to 2 they gimped abilities to ensure you solved puzzles "the right way" instead of whatever creative solution i could craft.   ...and with it took away most of the fun.   had i never played 1 it probably would have been an okay game but having played 1 i was very, very disappointed.  i plat'd 1 and quit 2 less than half way though.

That sucks. Guess I should try 1.

like i give a shame if it supports 3D or not.   me (and the rest of the world) aren't buying 3D tvs for it.   heck, my brother in law has a 3D tv and still won't play in 3D because the glasses are a "hassle".   no way in fudge shame is he putting on VR glasses and neither will i or anyone else outside of a few anomalies such as yourself and "Legend".

Oh I fully know I'm the anomaly with 3D. I've messed around on the tech side of it, even building my own 3D TVs before high quality ones became common.

VR is completely different though. The problem with 3D TVs is that watching in 2D mode makes the experience better in every way, outside of the 3D effect itself. 2D is brighter, higher resolution, better viewing angles, and just more convenient. Plus with large parties most people don't have enough glasses to accommodate. I have like 100 glasses, but again that just shows how I'm an exception to the average consumer.

With VR, there is no 2D mode or equivalent. You're either wearing the headset and experiencing presence, or you're not. Sure people will care about the hmd if it's heavy or uncomfortable, but they don't have a desire to remove the glasses completely. It's very much like a smartphone. People might not like them or might not like the way they feel, but no one is waiting out for a "holographic" smartphone, like they are with sans glasses 3D TVs.

Legend

Yes, or at least most of them do.

Next question.

Legend

i can see products for what they really are.  even tech that is "exciting" needs to be practical too ore the market will reject it.  this isn't about being a skeptic but being realistic about that VR really is.  the fact that everyone on this site is either excited for or silent on VR is the main reason i'm vocal about how much the tech isn't going to take off and will fail.  there are lots of reasons it will fail too.

7H3 is vocally against VR too.

kitler53

Have you ever gone biking?
Did you wear a helmet or the glasses? 

Ideally, they should be built with the expectation that some will be wearing glasses. 
I think Morpheus works with glasses, but I think some complained that it was a little uncomfortable, hopefully they'll fix that.

biking?  yes.
wear a helmet?  no.  helmets are dumb and uncomfortable and fudge with my glasses too which, imo, is more dangerous than not wearing a helmet.

Mmm_fish_tacos

No but in today's age glasses should be a none issue. And hate it being used as a scape goat. Contact cost lest a year that standard glasses.

the-pi-guy

Will it be successful?  No idea.  I'm not going to say yes, not going to say no. 
Why might it be successful? 
-New experiences
-More realistic experiences

Why might it not be successful?
-Awkwardness of the headset
-Some will be against it for no real reason.  "It seems awkward", even when it really isn't
-Possibility of motion sickness
-No reason for it to exist (No compelling software)
-Potential cost

What it depends on?
-Quality hardware (This fixes 2 out of the 5 negatives, and a third will follow after people experience it)
-Quality software (Fixes the fourth problem)
-Cost will go down
-Overall no negatives if done right. 
The question is will it be done right.  That's what remains to be seen, and based on the high number and profile of the hardware developers on board, I think someone will do it right. 

kitler53

i think i'm goiing to start a "VR will flop" thread in a bit as oppose to derailing half the threads on the site.   cheers guys,.  i'd love to talk to you there.   

trine 3 will be a flop.  xD

the-pi-guy

I haven't used VR, personally. 
But I know a few reviews for Morpheus brought up the glasses thing.  I could see it going either way, but you'd be the expert. 

I have like 100 glasses, but again that just shows how I'm an exception to the average consumer.

That's not even exception to the average consumer, that's beyond even most enthusiasts I'd bet. 

Legend

Will it be successful?  Super huge, in time. Start out niche and expensive, but in a few years it'll be the next smartphone.
Why might it be successful? 
-Virtual Tourism to real places
-Virtual Tourism to impossible places
-VR games
-Businesses with 3D modeling and the like
-Teaching
-VR online hangouts
-Gimmickness

Why might it not be successful?
-Awkwardness of the headset
-Some will be against it for no real reason.  "It seems awkward", even when it really isn't
-Possibility of motion sickness
-No reason for it to exist (No compelling software)
-Potential cost
-Lack of quality, ie resolution and framerate and screen door effect and persistence
-Can look dorky from the outside
-Takes a lot of power to run
-Only one person at a time

Mmm_fish_tacos

I haven't used VR, personally. 
But I know a few reviews for Morpheus brought up the glasses thing.  I could see it going either way, but you'd be the expert. 
That's not even exception to the average consumer, that's beyond even most enthusiasts I'd bet. 

100 pair of 3d or eyeglasses?

the-pi-guy

100 pair of 3d or eyeglasses?

Either way. :o
I have 3 glasses I think, and maybe 3 3D glasses.

Go Up