The Shadiness of Microsoft Studios (NeoGaf)

Started by Dr. Pezus, Feb 18, 2015, 03:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

To begin, I must admit that the very recent announcement that Xbox One exclusive 'The Phantom Dust' would no longer be under development by Darkside games, has left a sour taste in my mouth. Whilst not a studio owned by Microsoft, this announcement does seem representative of the general incompetence and worrying trend of shadiness being practised by Microsoft Studios.

Microsoft Announce Victoria Studio, close them after two years of no output.

Many suspected that this studio would be a key player for the current generation with regards to delivering new intellectual content to bolster Microsoft's weak portfolio. After two years of absolutely nothing, the studio was subsequently closed. Losing Microsoft a potential development team.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/0...ictoria-office

Microsoft Announce An 'Exciting new IP' from Microsoft Vancouver, turns into Gears of War.

The sister company of Microsoft Victoria, Microsoft Vancouver (now Black Tusk) were announced as a studio which would be delivering the next big Microsoft IP. One with the scope and impact which was set to 'rival the Halo franchise'. After a flashy new trailer at E3 2013, after a long period of nothing, it was soon revealed that this relatively small team of roughly one hundred people would now be scrapping their new intellectual property and subsequently become the Gears of War equivalent of 343i for an undetermined period of time.

Microsoft have not commented on the fate of the original IP, nor have they yet showed gameplay footage of the new Gears title.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsofts-ne...the-next-halo/

343i Promise a Tall Order for Halo: TMCC - Game is broken.

I'm sure Gaf members have heard enough with regards to the state of this game. However it can be considered extremely concerning that Microsoft's flagship IP is capable of being released in an unworkable state. This title was bigged up by Microsoft as a return to form for an IP which took a savage decline in popularity with its previous instalment Halo 4 featuring both a decline in sales and user popularity.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...s-so-does-xbox

Microsoft Announce a new 'Crackdown' - No gameplay, no mention of studio.

Microsoft last E3 announced a new Crackdown title coming to the Xbox One. The IP looked in dire condition with the respective failures of both Realtime Worlds and Ruffian. It was therefore a pleasant surprise to find that this IP would find new life, yet we do not know who yet with. To fit the trend of Microsoft over promising and under delivering, one has to wonder whether this new title's development is even remotely on the table. Or whether in a similar situation to Black Tusk's new IP, or The Phantom Dust - Whether we may see some 'unfortunate development issues' somewhere down the line.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ne-crackdown-3

How do you all feel about the practises of Microsoft Studios?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994469

7H3

Microsoft shady... nooooooo
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

kitler53

once or twice is pretty forgivable,.. plans change.   maybe it's not quite the same but that SM game got shut down but at least sony had the decency not to officially announce it.

xbox was getting crushed last year and i think ms showed off things far to early to bolster the appearance they had games coming.  now things are changing as the often times due in early development.  the tomb raider purchase is an obvious gap filler to me.  the lack of any 2015 games (aside from scream ride lol) is an obvious gap.  like xbox's half baked OS at launch the lack of games in 2015 is another consequence of ms not being ready for this gen to start in 2014 and getting set back by massive changes to their original vision.

the future shouldn't be soo bad for ms but i don't expect much from them this E3 in terms of announcements.  they already showed those cards.  this year maybe they'll be ready to show some real gameplay around the already announced titles.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Rorono

Don't forget what just happened to Phantom Dust

even if it is still being made internally (debatable), it sounds like they waited till the studio reached a certain point in development so they could tell them to buzz off and "we'll take over from here, bye bye now".

Max King of the Wild

People over reacted when Sony studios or teams were let go. I also remember a "who has the best first party studios" debate in which people said ms because they spent money to bring in new teams... Which have been awfully quiet and I hear are developing for hololens

Legend

Eh shady feels like the wrong word. Most of these actions were in good faith. Like Victoria was made with good intentions, but it didn't work out.