VizionEck

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Unity games tend to be CPU bound and VizionEck's been no exception. The gameplay premiere showed off some bad framerates (even though it was running on a beefy PC shhh!) and I'd joke that the red weapon was a framerate grenade. Today I made some changes that more than halved the framerate during action that made it go from annoying to unplayable.

So with that and the fact I need to start polishing for release anyway, I redesigned how the system handled things. All player created effects now run on their own framerate separate of the main game one. So every player can explode a "framerate grenade" at the same time and the general game will keep running at 60 fps.

The grenade effects drop down to like 5 fps for a short bit so there's still definitely room for improvement in this worst case scenario but it won't affect gameplay which is the important thing. Will also be great for VR where any drop anywhere is unacceptable.

I'm also working on my garbage collection. The framerate drops below 60 when that happens and it happens a fair amount. The blasts are all created and destroyed currently so switching to a recycling method will hopefully make that an easy fix.

(but really, ya'll have no idea how happy I am that in general the framerate is now locked to 60. Noticeable drops were super distracting when playtesting)