What are your thoughts on VizionEck's graphics?

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, May 01, 2016, 02:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

they look lazy and cheap aka "super easy development".
I can always count on you for blunt feedback  ;D

It has a unique art style.  Which I think is pretty off putting for a lot of people.  You don't play as an animal/person, you play as a cube.  Which could be odd in a world of Uncharted/Call of Duty/etc. for a lot of people.  There's still plenty of games that are in a similar type of category, but a lot of them are either older or mobile.  It goes much further than say Minecraft in that respect.  
The biggest thing though is that the market that would probably enjoy the graphics doesn't know about the game, while the market that knows about it doesn't enjoy the graphics.  Look at Call of Duty, Minecraft, Tetris, Farmville, etc.  All of them have very different visual styles, very different markets, but still hugely successful.  

I personally enjoy the style.  I'm a little curious how it will actually feel while playing.  But I am excited. (I am probably like the 5th most excited for this game.)
I've had long discussions about the fact you don't play as an animal/person.

Thomas Was Alone also uses solid geometric objects but you don't play as a rectangle, you play as Thomas. He's personified through dialogue, mechanics, and even visuals. I absolutely loved the game because of it and most critics seem to agree. If Thomas Was Alone lacked "characters," no one would have cared about it.

The portal companion cube does nothing, yet it's pink heart and associated gameplay make it lovable and relatable. There are hundreds of near identical cubes in the series yet this one is famous throughout the internet.

In VizionEck Battle there is nothing more than a black and white cube. Lore says their remote controlled robots called Rangers, but not a single player will care with the current graphics. Part of me thinks it'd be wise to personify the cubes and make them characters.

While playing it feels much better. Your brain pretty quickly learns and understands the geometry.

And that's okay.  It doesn't necessarily hurt VizionEck's potential for sales.  Minecraft would be a big example of that (and yes I am 100% aware that no indie games are Minecraft, except for Minecraft).  But still, the style of the game hasn't affected the game.  It's seen crazy success by marketing and gameplay.
I think the graphics helped Minecraft. They really match the feel of the gameplay.

I think you should have a couple of game skins available with more unlockable.  
That way, there's still the fun of unlocking stuff but also the flexibility to change what the game looks like.
That'll be the case either way. It's more about what game skin is the default one when you first boot up the game.

I don't know.  If the game plays well you might be able to go for an 80s theme.  Since that wireframe look was the style at the time.
I'm thinking about fully changing the graphics, not just improving/altering the outline look. Could make the game look like whatever I want.

I personally like it, but I think it will be hard to market to the masses.
That's exactly how I feel too!

I didn't listen to one suggestion in this post. Read all the comments from bottom up then read the opening post.

My issue is not seeing enough gameplay to form an opinion on graphics or side by side comparisons to make a determination
Such a rebel.