VizionEck

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

I love the sound of this, "Thousands of puzzles with no filler. Every one is unique and has a unique purpose in the game". This kind of reminds me of The Witness. After reading what your game is about and what you want to achieve I think this game is extremely well thought out and unique, both the campaign and multiplayer.

"Some optional puzzles are incredibly hard. Even with players collaborating together online, VizionEck will still have unsolved mysteries years after release". This is nice idea that will bring people together to solve puzzle which I had a similar experience with a game called Asemblance. I enjoyed reading through how people worked out how to complete Asemeblance but because I was a little late to the party I missed out on joining in the actually discussions. With ViszonEck is sounds like you'll have more time and opportunities to join a discussion about a particular puzzle which is also encouraged by your plan on clearly labelling each puzzle making it easier for people to find and join in on the discussion about that specific puzzle. Keeping to this subject, do you plan on having some sort difficulty indicator on how hard each puzzle will be to solve?

Legend

I love the sound of this, "Thousands of puzzles with no filler. Every one is unique and has a unique purpose in the game". This kind of reminds me of The Witness. After reading what your game is about and what you want to achieve I think this game is extremely well thought out and unique, both the campaign and multiplayer.

"Some optional puzzles are incredibly hard. Even with players collaborating together online, VizionEck will still have unsolved mysteries years after release". This is nice idea that will bring people together to solve puzzle which I had a similar experience with a game called Asemblance. I enjoyed reading through how people worked out how to complete Asemeblance but because I was a little late to the party I missed out on joining in the actually discussions. With ViszonEck is sounds like you'll have more time and opportunities to join a discussion about a particular puzzle which is also encouraged by your plan on clearly labelling each puzzle making it easier for people to find and join in on the discussion about that specific puzzle. Keeping to this subject, do you plan on having some sort difficulty indicator on how hard each puzzle will be to solve?
Glad to hear it!  ;D

I really loved playing The Witness and Jonathan Blow's dev talks have really helped me refine the puzzles.

I'm not planing on having a difficulty indicator. Instead I'm using level and puzzle design to (hopefully) telegraph that info to the players.

SWORDF1SH

I'm not planing on having a difficulty indicator. Instead I'm using level and puzzle design to (hopefully) telegraph that info to the players.
So a more natural way of doing it. That's a better idea. Do you know how you will achieve that?

The Witness is a well crafted game. I shook my head at people claiming it was too hard without playing it right. Some people really do need on screen prompts to tell them what to do like "this puzzle contains a rule that you don't know yet, to solve this puzzle visit the castle to learn the new rule".  The game was a masterclass in level design that required you to explore the whole island and learn rules gradually and revisit areas once you've learnt the rule or multiple rules needed to solve puzzle.

Legend

So a more natural way of doing it. That's a better idea. Do you know how you will achieve that?

The Witness is a well crafted game. I shook my head at people claiming it was too hard without playing it right. Some people really do need on screen prompts to tell them what to do like "this puzzle contains a rule that you don't know yet, to solve this puzzle visit the castle to learn the new rule".  The game was a masterclass in level design that required you to explore the whole island and learn rules gradually and revisit areas once you've learnt the rule or multiple rules needed to solve puzzle.
Yeah for most puzzles I already have stuff like that implemented. It's just a matter of refining everything.

I thought it was frustrating with The Witness how many people thought it was nothing but line puzzles and shrugged it off. The 3D world added so much to the game and was pivotal to much of my enjoyment.

SWORDF1SH

Yeah for most puzzles I already have stuff like that implemented. It's just a matter of refining everything.

I thought it was frustrating with The Witness how many people thought it was nothing but line puzzles and shrugged it off. The 3D world added so much to the game and was pivotal to much of my enjoyment.
Definitley! 100% agree. The world was nice to be in and discover, the puzzles had a lot of depth to them and unique ways to work them out, the world was full of easter eggs and finding all the hidden lines was fun and challenging. To top it off the audio blogs was interesting and insightful, being an atheist made me realise how shallow my opinions are that I base my belief on. I found it quite deep.

Legend

Just crashed my dev computer with an infinite loop.

Been awhile since I've done that  ::)

SWORDF1SH

Just crashed my dev computer with an infinite loop.

Been awhile since I've done that  ::)
In Layman's terms, how does one do this?

Legend

In Layman's terms, how does one do this?
Programs have the ability to repeat a function over and over until the desired conditions are met.

I accidentally made it so that it was impossible for the desired conditions to happen so the function just kept running over and over and over. By the time I realised it wasn't just a really slow function, my computer froze up and I couldn't shut anything down.

Legend

Micro update:

I'm working on improvements to rendering the alien language. It was generated during loading so the more text I added, the slower things got. Tried and failed with generating it all beforehand, but today I succeeded with optimizing the original technique. So I guess I'm sticking with that.  ::)

Legend

VizionEck Adventure is a puzzle game and Battle is FPS but there's still platforming as you move around the levels. For years this platforming has felt mediocre since it's just been directly mapping input to motion.

I had a facepalm the other day with realising how stupid that was. Time to add momentum and friction!

Sang2

Just remembered about this game.

Will this game still support PlayStation VR?

Legend

Just remembered about this game.

Will this game still support PlayStation VR?
It'll be added in an update after launch.

Priority is finishing the base game first.

the-pi-guy

VizionEck Adventure is a puzzle game and Battle is FPS but there's still platforming as you move around the levels. For years this platforming has felt mediocre since it's just been directly mapping input to motion.
I had a facepalm the other day with realising how stupid that was. Time to add momentum and friction!
That seems like a notable omission (for someone who likes physics so much).  ;)

SWORDF1SH

How will you do this?

Legend

That seems like a notable omission (for someone who likes physics so much).  ;)

Oh liking physics is the worst part!!!

I keep on having to remind myself it's a game not a simulator.
How will you do this?
Don't really know. Will try out a lot of things and playtest a lot of games. Once I've narrowed down my general thoughts, I'll probably leave it to the private beta for tweaking.

All I'm really doing is dampening changes in movement so the player feels more grounded in the universe. It's incredibly standard.

Go Up