Sucker Punch Layoffs

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 20, 2014, 01:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

SCEA can confirm a reduction in workforce has taken place at Sucker Punch Productions. Sucker Punch is appreciative of the tremendous work team members contributed to the inFAMOUS and Sly Cooper series, and wishes them the best in their next endeavors.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/infamous-dev-sucker-punch-suffers-layoffs

7H3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is one of my favorite studios! I hope this doesn't mean anything bad for another infamous or sly cooper title )o:

Hopefully it is just trimming the fat off the extra staff hired to push development rather than studio having financial issues.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Dr. Pezus

But inFAMOUS sold well? Maybe it's just restructuring for a different game that requires different skillsets

Xevross

I'm guessing and hoping that its just a restructure.

BananaKing

I'm guessing and hoping that its just a restructure.

me too. i fell in love with sucker punch after Infamous second son.

considering the timing of this, right after they are done with first light, it just might be though. infamous was the fastest selling infamous game, and already at 1.4m without the holiday.

Xevross

Exactly, I can't believe that it would be for another reason. it just fits too well

Raven

We do need to remember what was said by even Phil Spencer about how many big budget studios will be doing things these days. You'll have people brought in as a project ramps up and then when the work drys out it'll become nearly impossible to justify having people on your payroll just standing around. Sucker Punch is a one project, one team studio. It's not like Naughty Dog where they may have four projects at various stages where everyone is useful.

7H3

We do need to remember what was said by even Phil Spencer about how many big budget studios will be doing things these days. You'll have people brought in as a project ramps up and then when the work drys out it'll become nearly impossible to justify having people on your payroll just standing around. Sucker Punch is a one project, one team studio. It's not like Naughty Dog where they may have four projects at various stages where everyone is useful.

that's exactly what i'm thinking

nnodley

Aug 20, 2014, 03:18 PM Last Edit: Aug 20, 2014, 03:23 PM by nnodley
Yeah layoffs right as First Light probably finishes development.  Can't wait for all the doom over this now.  It can't possibly be that people are done with Infamous and want to move onto another studio for different types of games.  Quite common as almost everyone in this thread knows, but other fans don't seem to grasp that concept.

*edit* many reasons for the layoffs.

-some could have been fired, no doubt about that
-some might have been on contracts just for the duration of the project and are now leaving
-some want to leave to move onto other studios and spread their wings :-p

Also i believe a lot of people leave when they are finished working on a franchise but the studio is doing another sequel so that person leaves to work on something new.  Part of me would love another infamous, but sucker punch deserves to move on and create something new, unique and full of awesome sauce.

ethomaz

It happens all the time.

How many guys was fired?

7H3

I want more Sly Cooper and inFamous... even if it isn't by sucker punch, but I'd hope they'd have some say / help in the future iterations

Xevross

It happens all the time.

How many guys was fired?

We don't know!

darkknightkryta

I suspect Sony may be going the "Factory" route with development.  They'll probably have Santa Monica as the factory so to speak.  Just send devs from Santa Monica when they need coding done on various projects, much like they do now but on a larger scale.

Silverf0x

That sucks. SP is probably my favorite Sony dev after Team ICO. :/ And Sly Cooper is a great series.
The only thing to fear is fear incarnated as a Japanese schoolgirl.