Voynich manuscript claimed to be solved

Started by Legend, Sep 08, 2017, 10:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

darkknightkryta

What is this manuscript?

the-pi-guy

That seems odd.  
They already knew there was some Latin script.
Seems like an odd thing for other people to miss.

What is this manuscript?
The Voynich manuscript is an illustrated codex hand-written in an unknown writing system. The vellum on which it is written has been carbon-dated to the early 15th century (1404-1438), and it may have been composed in Northern Italy during the Italian Renaissance.[1][2] The manuscript is named after Wilfrid Voynich, a Polish book dealer who purchased it in 1912

the-pi-guy

I'm really skeptical about this.

Just seems like a way too easy solution that sounds relatively plausible.  

A highly plausible solution for the Voynich Manuscript has been published for peer review (and its a fairly mundane explanation) : UnresolvedMysteries

I think he's wrong.

He was hired by an unnamed tv network to come up with a solution for it. He didnt come up with a solution after years of research or study of the document, and his work on it was not published in an academic journal, nor peer reviewed. He came up with the solution as content for a pop-history tv show.

He says its latin shorthand, but makes no attempt at translating any part of it. When he claims to have figured out as a mysterious writing the very least he should do is provide some examples of how to translate it, why he thinks it should be translated like that, and so on. Nor does he explain why someone would write a medical work that no one else could or can read, not back then and not now.

Furthermore his idea that it is latin shorthand does not fit what we know about the manuscript through many years of analyzis and years of study by experts in the relevant fields. Words, sentence structure, letter frequency, word length, and word frequency are all wrong for his solution to work.

Yes, it seems to be connected to herbal medicine and health in some way. Lots of pictures of nude women bathing. Not a new observation, and not really much of a solution as far as interpreting the manuscript goes. Nowhere does he go into any detail, but sticks to vague general observations.

No historian or linguistic expert has endorsed his solution. There's a lot of reasons why its most likely wrong, and no good reasons to think he's right.

Legend

I'm really skeptical about this.

Just seems like a way too easy solution that sounds relatively plausible.  

A highly plausible solution for the Voynich Manuscript has been published for peer review (and its a fairly mundane explanation) : UnresolvedMysteries

I'm not sure what to think of it. It's presented in such an odd way. 90% of his announcement article is talking about relating it to medicine instead of the text. Maybe the TV show will include more and this is an ad?

Anyway another reddit link
The mysterious Voynich manuscript has finally been decoded : linguistics