PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Proper emulation is cpu intensive.  From what I understand the ps2 "Emulator" is just PCSX2 using the hardware plugins.  That has glitches still and all post processing effects don't really work on it, so you have to test the games individually.  The software plugin needs a pretty good CPU.  Not sure if the default jaguar can handle it.
Maybe they invested in a new internal emulator.

The problem though is that it'd be close. Pro's CPU isn't that much stronger and on top of this, the competition is doing much harder BC. Pro exclusive PS2 BC would be met with "oh but couldn't you do better Sony?"

Raven

At the very least, I think Sony should try really hard to have a robust digital library of older games ready to go for their next console and, this time, honor past purchases of those titles instead of making people pay again. Backwards compatibility of PS4 titles shouldn't be terribly hard for them to pull off since they went with X86 instead of some proprietary setup again. Unless, of course, they try that crud again with the PS5. From what I understand, the difficulty in backwards compatibility is the very different architecture used by their past consoles.

BasilZero

Yes. Backwards compatibility basically
!!!!!!!!!!!??!?!?!?!?

Physical or digital :O

Cause if physical , I can finally start playing my PS2 games I havent touched yet again without plugging in my PS2 or emulating it xD!

darkknightkryta

Maybe they invested in a new internal emulator.

The problem though is that it'd be close. Pro's CPU isn't that much stronger and on top of this, the competition is doing much harder BC. Pro exclusive PS2 BC would be met with "oh but couldn't you do better Sony?"
They didn't.  They poached some devs from PCSX 2.  It's why the resolution's higher; it's running with the hardware plugins.

The competition isn't doing much harder BC.  The Xbox One and Xbox 360 have similar GPUs.  CPU's an issue, but I'm also pretty sure Microsoft wrote a general emulator with game specific hacks.  They're essentially porting games over.  It's why they're only releasing games at a time as opposed to a general emulator.  

Legend

Apr 30, 2017, 08:47 PM Last Edit: Apr 30, 2017, 09:18 PM by Legend
They didn't.  They poached some devs from PCSX 2.  It's why the resolution's higher; it's running with the hardware plugins.

The competition isn't doing much harder BC.  The Xbox One and Xbox 360 have similar GPUs.  CPU's an issue, but I'm also pretty sure Microsoft wrote a general emulator with game specific hacks.  They're essentially porting games over.  It's why they're only releasing games at a time as opposed to a general emulator. 
I know the PS2 classics use PCSX. But they could be making a new one.

edt: and PS3 managed PS2 BC so the different GPUs can't be the largest problem.

darkknightkryta

I know the PS2 classics use PCSX. But they could be making a new one.

edt: and PS3 managed PS2 BC so the different GPUs can't be the largest problem.
It's not the gpu being the issue.  It's the CPU.  Jaguar's worst than Cell.  Like hardware plugin isn't reliable, and the software plugin needs a good cpu.   

Legend

It's not the gpu being the issue.  It's the CPU.  Jaguar's worst than Cell.  Like hardware plugin isn't reliable, and the software plugin needs a good cpu.    
You just said GPU. Guess that was a typo?

darkknightkryta

You just said GPU. Guess that was a typo?
I'm saying the gpu plugin isn't reliable enough to release a general PS2 emulator.  You'd need the software plugin.  Jaguar probably isn't good enough as is on the ps4.  Which is why a Pro only ps2 emulator would make sense.  With PSN releases they can use the gpu plugin since they can test the game fully.

You had mentioned the 360 emulator on Xbox One running and my theory is that since their GPUs share a common architecture,  Microsoft only has the CPU to really emulate, which is probably why they're essentially porting each game over.  It's probably easier to make an Xbox 360 emulator in that situation than a PS2 emulator that needs to run all cases with it's gpu emulated.

ethomaz

Kerotan

The games just keep on coming.  Sony doing their talking with great titles.  Here's to more at E3!

SWORDF1SH

Never been a Wipeout fan but it's a nice addition to the PS4.

Dr. Pezus

ethomaz

4k right?
I don't know but the 2048 game jumped from 30 to 60fps.

ethomaz

Xevross

Well I just got the first ending in Nier Automata after forcing myself to carry on with it. I did like it more as I got towards the end and overall I think its a good game.

I don't know if I want to play through it again to get the different endings. I'm curious but I don't really enjoy playing it that much.

If you'd asked me to rate it when I was halfway through and really not wanting to carry on, I would have given it a 5 or 6/10 but from what I've seen now I think its about a 7.5/10 for me.

Go Up