Evolution Studios studios to be closed?

Started by kitler53, Oct 16, 2014, 01:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

i mean,.

1) a full year late
2) not even full featured at launch (weather post launch patch)
3) and more than a week after launch the servers are still a fudgy wreck
4) still no ps+ version released

...what a fudgy mess.  i hate to be a sucker but sony would be quite justified, imo, to close evolution studios after this mess.

**so tired of waiting**

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I doubt the studio will be closed since at least the PS4 is still doing great, but yeah change could be in the air.

Do you know if they're a multiteam studio?

the-pi-guy

kitler53

I doubt the studio will be closed since at least the PS4 is still doing great, but yeah change could be in the air.

Do you know if they're a multiteam studio?

i dunno, i'm just starting to get angry about the situation.  delayed a full year and still not ready.   such fail.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I don't think it'll be closed but they definitely won't be treated too well.

You forgot to add that the game is pretty average too. I think that they deserve to have layoffs, the team creating this game simply isn't good enough`

Mmm_fish_tacos

I hope not. Who's going to make wipe out?

Riderz1337

No. I want a next gen Motorstorm
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

ethomaz

They have issue.

So I think it is better to fix the studio instead to close.

Shinobi-san

I think some of you guys are being a bit harsh on evolution studios :(

I think until we know what circumstances they were under while developing the game, its a bit much to be calling for the studio to close or have lay offs.

Sony might be at blame here, evolution might be to blame, we dont know.
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

Raven

Metacritic alone won't determine what happens to them. Killzone scored "low" and Sony bought Guerrilla Games after. Evolution Studios was never known as one of Sony's top-tier developers. They basically make the racing games for Sony platforms that Polyphony Digital can't be bothered with which is still an important market for Sony to have its own developer for, especially with Sony Liverpool closed a couple years ago.

We also have to consider that this problem may indeed have been the result of the previous director. Pete Dodd may have actually been correct with his assessment and the guy wanted to save face so he made his own counter claim that everyone accepted as truth. My guess is that this game was a disaster behind the scenes and it was everything the new director could do to make it passable.

This isn't the same scenario as Santa Monica's game that Asmussen was in charge of that was in development for 4 years and they literally gave up on it ever being even just good enough. That large layoff was justified even if it still sucks that it happened. The more likely scenario is that a few people will be fired, the studio will be given a new direction, and Sony will see how sales turn out after the holidays before they make big moves, assuming they find it necessary to begin with. There is no reason for Sony to close them right now. Their games division is not hurting at all. Now, if we get closer to the end of the generation and Evolution Studios has dropped the ball a few more times then Sony may decide to cut "proven dead weight".

darkknightkryta

Metacritic alone won't determine what happens to them. Killzone scored "low" and Sony bought Guerrilla Games after. Evolution Studios was never known as one of Sony's top-tier developers. They basically make the racing games for Sony platforms that Polyphony Digital can't be bothered with which is still an important market for Sony to have its own developer for, especially with Sony Liverpool closed a couple years ago.

We also have to consider that this problem may indeed have been the result of the previous director. Pete Dodd may have actually been correct with his assessment and the guy wanted to save face so he made his own counter claim that everyone accepted as truth. My guess is that this game was a disaster behind the scenes and it was everything the new director could do to make it passable.

This isn't the same scenario as Santa Monica's game that Asmussen was in charge of that was in development for 4 years and they literally gave up on it ever being even just good enough. That large layoff was justified even if it still sucks that it happened. The more likely scenario is that a few people will be fired, the studio will be given a new direction, and Sony will see how sales turn out after the holidays before they make big moves, assuming they find it necessary to begin with. There is no reason for Sony to close them right now. Their games division is not hurting at all. Now, if we get closer to the end of the generation and Evolution Studios has dropped the ball a few more times then Sony may decide to cut "proven dead weight".

To further agree with Raven here, Sony took a long time to close Zipper despite all their failures.  Though on the flip side, they probably held on to them for their net code.

Though I think with Stig's game, it had very little to show for it other than concept art.

Raven

To further agree with Raven here, Sony took a long time to close Zipper despite all their failures.  Though on the flip side, they probably held on to them for their net code.

Though I think with Stig's game, it had very little to show for it other than concept art.

Yeah. Zipper proved to be a bad move after two games under Sony. It took Sony most of the generation before they decided Zipper needed to go and even then that was under a lot of financial weight. BigBig was canned for largely the same reason. A very underperforming studio. Though I'm pretty sure Sony never really wanted them to begin with. They were a satellite studio of Evolution before Sony bought both of them at the same time. That had to have been a package deal. Any time Sony has closed a studio has been shortly before a transitional period to the next generation and only if that studio had repeatedly failed in Sony's eyes. Incognito was the only exception but that was an odd case of a majority of the staff wanting to split into two different teams and create their own studios.

From the rumors I heard about Stig's game, it was in development hell since Day 1 and for four years he wasted money and manpower trying to force his vision to work despite all the signs.

7H3

What all games did Zipper make? I liked MAG, and I remember seeing their logo on other games I liked, but don't remember what they were right now
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

What all games did Zipper make? I liked MAG, and I remember seeing their logo on other games I liked, but don't remember what they were right now

Socom, the start of online shooter.

Raven

Zipper Interactive was bought by Sony in 2006. The same year they released two SOCOM games that, as I remember, were not as well received as past titles. Four years later they released MAG and it flopped. It wasn't a bad game. It's just that by that time Call of Duty reigned supreme and Battlefield was on the rise for consoles. MAG just didn't measure up to the quality of those games. The next year they released SOCOM 4 which was pretty much the worst game they made for a PlayStation platform. Then they did Unit 13 for the Vita and after that Sony just decided it wasn't worth keeping them.