Programming Thread

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Oct 11, 2018, 02:29 AM Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018, 02:44 AM by the-pi-guy
So a while ago, I made up a matching game for Android for Japanese words. 
I kind of gave up on it.  There was a weird blue screen that im not sure where it comes from and loading the words takes way too long.

I want to go back and fix it up though. 
And today, I finally did it.

Took about an hour to fix up the vocab importer. 
Got rid of all the inefficiencies.  Rebuilt the entire vocab list so the vocab importer could just take every word and save it.  I also strangely found a major error that somehow went unnoticed.  In my character importer when converting the unicode, I have a hexadecimal converter.  The issue is that the converter was built to manage 10=A, 11=B, 12=C, etc.  But the character list had a mix of lower case and upper case letters (not sure why I would have done that.)  So any characters that had a lower case in their encoding, did not get evaluated correctly. 

Instead of having to match every single character.  I knew this was super inefficient, but it had a good benefit at the time.  But the benefit doesn't outweigh the gigantic loading times.  Basically it would be on the order of 180,000,000 matches.  (Assuming 9000 vocab words * 2500 characters to match * 8 (made up average) average word length)   

So yeah.  That many matches on the computer is easy, but for a phone, it's ludicrous. 
Now it doesn't do any matching. 

To do:
-keyboard access for typing game (maybe just having a user text box would automatically open it.  Gotta figure that out)
-fix intro blue screen.  I still don't know where it comes from.  I don't know enough about Android software.  But basically when I launch a game, it starts off with a blue screen that disappears when I touch the screen.  My game still has a blue background.
-make it prettier
-also figure out some small issues, with some words being incorrectly marked incorrect.