Apple snares virtual reality patent

Started by 7H3, Feb 20, 2015, 12:35 AM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/apple-snares-virtual-reality-patent/story-e6frgakx-1227228447313
APPLE has been awarded a patent on a headset that could let iPhones be part of augmented or virtual reality displays.

The patent titled "Head Mounted Display Apparatus For Retaining A Portable Electronic Device With Display" depicts a large eyeglass-style frame into which a smartphone could be seated.

A smartphone would essentially become a screen set directly before the wearer's eyes, with the option of picture-in-picture if a person wants to watch what is happening around him or her. Coupling the headset device with an iPhone "temporarily integrates the separate devices into a single unit," according to the patent, which Apple filed for in late 2008.

Capabilities of each device would be extended to the other, the patent specified, leaving open the potential to incorporate Siri virtual assistant voice commands.

The gadget described in the patent is similar to Gear VR head gear released late last year by Samsung and paired with the South Korean consumer electronics titan's large-screen Galaxy Note 4 smartphones.

At its developers conference in San Francisco last year, Google gave away simple kits to make cardboard virtual reality headsets that act as frames for Android powered smartphones.

I still need to get a google cardboard set up myself... then link my ps4 controller to my phone... then bam i'm good to go
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Isn't this like common nowadays?

7H3

VR? yeah I see people walking around with them, using them, talking about them all the time.... err or do you just mean companies jumping on board with the idea...
I say it'll flop out in 5 years and then come back another 5 - 10 years later as something decent and affordable lol

Legend

VR? yeah I see people walking around with them, using them, talking about them all the time.... err or do you just mean companies jumping on board with the idea...
I say it'll flop out in 5 years and then come back another 5 - 10 years later as something decent and affordable lol

No I mean vr using a smartphone as the screen like the patent seems to show. Tons of companies are doing that.

With vr in general I think it'll be huge. It'll start as niche kinda like the first iphone, but it'll be a prodect that captivates the public. The tech is too amazing and so many huge companies are ijvesting around the same time. Holiday 2015 will be crazy.

7H3

No I mean vr using a smartphone as the screen like the patent seems to show. Tons of companies are doing that.

With vr in general I think it'll be huge. It'll start as niche kinda like the first iphone, but it'll be a prodect that captivates the public. The tech is too amazing and so many huge companies are ijvesting around the same time. Holiday 2015 will be crazy.

and how about those 3d tv's?
that's really where I see vr/ar going as it is right now

Legend

and how about those 3d tv's?
that's really where I see vr/ar going as it is right now

3D TVs are completelly different. Like outside of the fact they envolve 3D images, there are no similarities. A better comparison would be TVs as a whole. VR isn't a modification of an existing product, it's a completelly new product. Many consumers will have issues with it, but there's no possibility of an "I'm already satisfied. I don't want to upgrade" type reaction.

7H3

3D TVs are completelly different. Like outside of the fact they envolve 3D images, there are no similarities. A better comparison would be TVs as a whole. VR isn't a modification of an existing product, it's a completelly new product. Many consumers will have issues with it, but there's no possibility of an "I'm already satisfied. I don't want to upgrade" type reaction.

well the patent in the OP and Google cardboard are modifications... not stand alone devices... but I do see your point as it is something basically "new"
I just don't think it will really take off in the near future