Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Did they make shader compilers?  Last time I looked at them was about 10 years ago.
Yeah I thought they always had them?

Most shaders are instant but if you use newer features it can take a good few minutes to compile them.

the-pi-guy

Shader programs are a little different because they don't run by themselves.  Instead they are run with C++, Java or a few others.  

darkknightkryta

Yeah I thought they always had them?

Most shaders are instant but if you use newer features it can take a good few minutes to compile them.
They didn't.  Maybe Direct X had them, but OpenGl didn't.  

the-pi-guy

Mar 25, 2018, 07:13 PM Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018, 07:20 PM by the-pi-guy
I haven't used stack overflow that much, but I am reading a thing about how bad they've gotten.  
Stackoverflow has a mod election going on:

2018 Moderator Election - Stack Overflow

Several of them are bragging about how they delete and close many questions.  

That's just ludicrous.  

On another note.  I should make an American compiler for funsies.  

Arrays start at 1776.  Accessing 1775 will give a "the Redcoats are coming" error.  

The keyword for "class" will be "americanDream" .
There will only be one number type, doubles.  Numbers smaller than 1 will be switched for their greater/less than, so 1/4th will correctly be considered bigger than 1/3rd.  

I could do all kinds of terrible things.  

Legend

I haven't used stack overflow that much, but I am reading a thing about how bad they've gotten. 
Stackoverflow has a mod election going on:

2018 Moderator Election - Stack Overflow

Several of them are bragging about how they delete and close many questions. 

That's just ludicrous. 
Reddit devs dislike stack overflow a lot for that and I agree. I google and find links from them a lot and so often the question has been closed as a duplicate. Or people say the op is wrong and give a useless answer and mark it closed. Like if a person asks about speeding up the loops in a raymarch shader, the solution is not to get rid of the loops and use a different method! (I encountered something like that a few days ago)

the-pi-guy

How ludicrous would it be to learn how Unity works without being able to use it?  On the weekdays, I spend almost all day at school.  But they don't have any kind of unity at school of course.

Legend

How ludicrous would it be to learn how Unity works without being able to use it?  On the weekdays, I spend almost all day at school.  But they don't have any kind of unity at school of course.
Since you already know programming, not that hard. You could definitely get a hang of how the scripting works at the very least.

Do you know about general game dev concepts from Lumberyard? That'd also help. Update() vs FixedUpdate() for example are just functions that are called either every frame or every n milliseconds.

Newer versions of Unity are trying to be more dev friendly and have pre-built methods of doing most things and learning those would really benefit from having access to Unity, but most of the time I use my own scripts for things.

Have you tried installing Unity on a flash drive? You could then use it at school without installing anything on their computers.

the-pi-guy

Have you tried installing Unity on a flash drive? You could then use it at school without installing anything on their computers.

Thank you!  I didn't even think of doing this!  
Do you know about general game dev concepts from Lumberyard? That'd also help. Update() vs FixedUpdate() for example are just functions that are called either every frame or every n milliseconds.
I don't have too much from Lumberyard unfortunately.  
I did try starting a unity tutorial that my brother in law bought me from Udemy.  It's really slow paced though, because its made with the expectation that the watcher doesn't know any coding.  (I tried skipping all of that, but then they started diving into projects with code made.)

darkknightkryta

I agree about the stack overflow.  They'll close unanswered questions, and the answer would be wrong.  

Talking about Stack Overflow reminded me of this comic:

the-pi-guy

I agree about the stack overflow.  They'll close unanswered questions, and the answer would be wrong.  

Talking about Stack Overflow reminded me of this comic:

Love that comic.  
Another problem: only question, OP says they figured it out. No answer posted.  

darkknightkryta

Love that comic.  
Another problem: only question, OP says they figured it out. No answer posted.  
I fudgy hate that.

the-pi-guy

Each project of my compilers class has been to implement something from scratch.  But then the next project, we use a tool to do that for us. It doesn't do exactly what our project did, it's for a far more complex grammar.  

Even the simple projects though, pretty easily become 1,000 lines of code.  

That's pretty what we've done so far, but the rest of the projects literally build on each other.  

The first one is about completing the parser.  Last two projects we have are pretty similar.  They will basically take something resembling java code, and output a MIPS program.  The last project includes stuff about getting classes to work.  Oh boy.  

darkknightkryta

Each project of my compilers class has been to implement something from scratch.  But then the next project, we use a tool to do that for us. It doesn't do exactly what our project did, it's for a far more complex grammar.  

Even the simple projects though, pretty easily become 1,000 lines of code.  

That's pretty what we've done so far, but the rest of the projects literally build on each other.  

The first one is about completing the parser.  Last two projects we have are pretty similar.  They will basically take something resembling java code, and output a MIPS program.  The last project includes stuff about getting classes to work.  Oh boy.  
There's a reason why I dropped translators =D

the-pi-guy

These are pretty neat:
Shadertoy BETA
Shadertoy BETA

It'd be nice if there was a place to try Super Mario Bros in VR.  That one's not set up for it, and it's horrid.  

Legend

These are pretty neat:
Shadertoy BETA
Shadertoy BETA

It'd be nice if there was a place to try Super Mario Bros in VR.  That one's not set up for it, and it's horrid.  
Shadertoy is a great website to spend way too much time at  ::)

Wouldn't Super Mario Bros be pretty standard in VR? Just a big flat wall?

Go Up